Coopers Community

Re culturing coopers yeast

For my next beer aussie pale ale i want to use re cultured yeast from coopers sparkling ale will the sparkling ale be ok to use? they say the lower the alcohol the better I just love sparkling [biggrin] However once i have re cultured the yeast and used it in my batch i can wash the yeast from the trub and use it again and will it have the same character as what is intended?

Yep you can use the yeast from Sparkling Ale. I believe it is the same strain.

Yeast will mutate after a while of being reused which is why I restrict reusing to no more than 10 times these days, I used to go 6 but I have stretched this now. However, if done correctly you can get a lot more than this by taking multiple samples of previous batches. A lot of people claim their 2nd and 3rd uses are better than the first.

I rarely reuse coopers yeast. I feel it better to go buy some more coopers and re culture all over again.

After lurking on the site for a while and slowly getting more confidence with brewing I attempted to reculture my first lot of Coopers Yeast(Pale Ale).I followed the instructions per the post from PB2 and I couldn't get it to work. Am I right in assuming that if the yeast is ok and reactivated there should be a noticable head formed, I only got a few bubbles, but when I opened the stubbies they were full of fizz??? What have I done wrong [crying]

After lurking on the site for a while and slowly getting more confidence with brewing I attempted to reculture my first lot of Coopers Yeast(Pale Ale).I followed the instructions per the post from PB2 and I couldn't get it to work. Am I right in assuming that if the yeast is ok and reactivated there should be a noticable head formed' date=' I only got a few bubbles, but when I opened the stubbies they were full of fizz??? What have I done wrong [crying']

Not sure why did you have it at room temp or was the water too hot when you put it in im not sure I am going to attempt this for the first time in the next couple of weeks so I will let you know but those two thing i just stated could be what i see could be the problem and did you shake it every day and every night watched a few video's on youtube about it seems pretty easy so its worth giving it a shot again

full of fizz???

Fizz as in a gusher?

Does the beer taste ok? if so you probably had some fermentation in the bottle, try sticking them in the fridge for over 48 hours before drinking, it may help the beer absorb some of the extra co2 in there.

If the beer taste horrible, like vinegar? You picked up an infection.

Either way it sounds to me like your yeast did work but something went wrong somewhere else in the process

Archived