Coopers Community

High Ferment Temps - Too high or will be ok??

BenL12

I have put down a pale ale and started the brew at 21 degC. Over the next 24hrs it went as high as 28 on the temp indicator. I managed to bring it back down again with a wet towel and fan however i am wondering whether it got too high or if it will still be ok. It would have been at that temp for about 12-14 hrs i reckon.

Cheers

Dude, I know it's not ideal, but I've had great brews which have gone to 28. Sometimes there may be a slightly sharper taste, but from my experience it will condition out over time. One of my less than optimal brews happened a few years ago when I let the poor bugger get up to 28 (maybe higher - don't yell at me fellas [whistling ) and after a month it wasn't great. After 3 months it was fine. Having said that, keeping it under 24 for the duration will produce much cleaner tasting beer, but don't tip it just coz it got to 28! Much worse things have happened!

Aye drink it, if it tastes like turps (which it wont) every bottle you drink will serve as a reminder you neglected your baby [biggrin]

Free fridge off gumtree and a thermostat will solve all your fermentation problems

Cheers fellas. It is back down about 23 and just dry hopped 30 gms of amarillo into it. Tasted pretty good when i checked the SG as well so mind is a bit more at ease now!!

And dont worry... i would have drank it regardless even if it tasted like duck pond water!!

The fridge wont be far away as well as the missus wants a new one so the old one will be converted to the brew fridge!!!

Sounds like the start of your ferment has been between 23C-28C. imo that is not good, it is not terrible but iot certainly is not good either.

You really want to get it between 18C-20C if you can.

I suppose you'll find out in a few weeks...

Although technically not ideal, I've done worse and had a great time tippling away at my 'lessons in temperatures'.

As we say in Ireland 'Sure, it'll be grand!' [biggrin]

(provided you sterilize everything and dont trust the airlock [whistling )

Archived