Coopers Community

Problem with SMOTY Ale

fossil

Hi guys, I made a SMOTY Ale over the weekend and tried re-hydrating the yeast for the first time.

I boiled 2 cups of water and then let it cool till it reached 40C, added the two yeast packets, waited 15 mins, then added a small amount of water with a teaspoon of diluted sugar to it. It was left for 30 mins (there was no foaming at this point) before being pitched into the FV at around 26C.

The problem is, there is still no krausen activity after 48hrs. I have the FV sitting in a temp controlled fridge at 21C.

Should I be pitching another packet of yeast to get this going?

It sounds like you killed your yeast. You horrible, horrible man! [lol]

I'd say just sprinkle in another one and you should be good to go.

In future, try re-hydrating in water closer to 25C.

I believe the method favoured is to sprinkle them on top of the ~25C water, cover. after 15mins, mix in to make a slurry and wait a further 15 mins then pitch.

Don't expect foaming when you re-hydrate as the yeast have nothing to eat in the water. They're just stretching their legs and waking up ready to tackle the wort.

Thanks guys. I'll throw in another packet.

I followed John Palmers advice from his book which said to wait till the water reached 35-40C. He also mentioned that by adding some sugar to this mixture that it would give the yeast some food and it would foam up.

But I think I'll try it your way next time Smithy!

Even though 40C is at the hot end of the scale and not recommended, I highly doubt you killed all your yeast. Personally I would not have reacted so quickly and left it for at least another 24 hours before starting to get worried. I have had quite a number of brews where there has been no krausen activity after 72 hours.

Why didn't you take another gravity reading to see if there were any change in gravity?... this would be a great indication if you are "alive" or not.

Problem now rests as to whether or not you have overpitched.

Oh well.... live and learn I guess.

I rehydrated the ale yeast that came with the English Stout kit (along with the yeast from the Irish Stout can). I just did it in water at approx. 25 degrees in a clean coffee mug (we don't use nasty fake detergents) that had been rinsed in boiled water. I didn't add any sugar.

I mixed the ingredients in the FV (in my garage) while the yeast was rehydrating (in the house). When I went back in to get the yeast I found something like this images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxWyUqEuE2hZ2DBzsF2-QmzcWkbwfm7H0F_4ndyKngP-qApBI5sw (this is just an image off the net, not the actual yeast).

I'd also left a teaspoon i'd used to stir lying across the top of the mug, and the foam had gone around it [lol]

[crying]

If I have overpitched, what can I now expect? Will it just be a very yeasty tasting brew?

Fat and lazy yeast. However, I don't think it will be as bad as what I sort of come across. Let this one play out and try ferment at 18-20C.

If it is anything like my SMOTY that I brewed last September, then you should be prepared for some spew-over!

I am still enjoying this brew in bottles 6 months on, and it is very very good [happy]

Archived