Coopers Community

Filtering beer before bottling?

krish2

I am a few days of bottling ( TCS pilsner, TCS traditional draught and extra strong vintage ale)and am wondering if i should filter the beers through a 125\u03bcm filter which attaches to the fermenter tap? any thought or advice ont his would be most welcome

I am a few days of bottling ( TCS pilsner' date=' TCS traditional draught and extra strong vintage ale)and am wondering if i should filter the beers through a 125\u03bcm filter which attaches to the fermenter tap? any thought or advice ont his would be most welcome[/quote']

NONONONONONO!!!

Do not do this, your beer will not carbonate in bottle if you do.

While the beer conditions in the bottle, all of the sediment sinks to the bottom.

You can pour nearly the whole bottle without getting ANY of it in your glass and it is usually clear as any commerial beer.

Filtering is awesome for wine, because the lees can make it bitter and most wines are pretty much killed before bottling anyway, but beer is still alive so leave it alone.

You'll have left most of the crap in the fermentation vessel and what's leftover is needed to ferment your priming sugar and give you some fizz.

Using a filter also increases the risk of contaminating your beer.

thanks for the helpful advice!

Question really is..

Why do you feel you need to do this? What are you hoping to gain from it?

Are you using any finings?

Racking to bulk prime?

Cold conditioning?

I don't really want to do this, however the bloke i am brewing with wants as little sediment as possible in the beer ( we wont even drink a coopers pale ale because of sediment). I was happy enough to do it if it wasn't going to affect the beer. But it sounds like a bad idea.

not using thinnings, don't actually know what racking and bulk prime is but would defiantly condition for a minimum of 2 weeks probably longer.

If you go to the expense of kegging your beer and carbonating artificially then you can filter it/chill it and it will end up really clear, because you won't need the yeast to naturally carbonate your beer in the bottle.

But, like his lordship up there said, you can naturally carbonate in the bottle, decant the beer (into a beer glass for example) and depending on the brew be really clear and sediment free. The sediment does stay pretty much on the bottom. A few wisping bits might come out in the second pour but nothing to be afraid of.

Do a batch and see how it goes, not like it's a big gamble.

Edit : Oh ok you are about to bottle three batches ... I see ... well it's going to work out, honestly. You'll be very pleasantly surprised.

... because you won't need the yeast to naturally carbonate your beer in the bottle.

so does that mean i don't need something like the coopers carbonation drops or another priming sugar?

no you still need something to prime it.

If you filter to much there is no yeast left in the brew at all. when you prime your bottles and leave for your 2 weeks+ you will find they will not be carbed.

If you want to have a lesser amount of sediment,pour you brew into another drum via the tap. This leaves most of the sediment behind. and then bulk prime I have found that i end up with less sediment this way and a beeter carbonation. just do a quick google search and all should be revealed .

If you're not up for kegging there is something else you could do in the future, which is racking to a secondary fermenting vessel, and perhaps even chilling it. Maybe this is the middle ground you've been looking for.

no you still need something to prime it.

I was under the impression one forced co2 into the keg, like a massive soda stream.

Correct. If you are kegging you can force carb it if you want. If you bottle, you pretty much have no choice but to naturally carb it

You CAN filter your beer AND still have yeast to prime your bottles. Nevertheless, regardless of this to prime bottles you need yeast + sugar. This will always give a sediment in the bottom of the bottle anyhow.

Archived