Coopers Community

Hydrometer Issues

NeilE

Hi Guys

I am currently doing my first brew ever and am a bit unsure about the hydrometer. From what I understand I put the brew in the test tube and fill it up. Then I watch as the hydrometer starts to float and I take the measurement where the hydrometer meets the top of the liquid. Is that right?

ALSO.... I have noticed a small hole in the bottom of the hydrometer. The liquid just leaks out and I have to put my finger over it. It looks like it is meant to be there though???

Please help, not sure.

Thanks

Hi Guys

I am currently doing my first brew ever and am a bit unsure about the hydrometer. From what I understand I put the brew in the test tube and fill it up. Then I watch as the hydrometer starts to float and I take the measurement where the hydrometer meets the top of the liquid. Is that right?

ALSO.... I have noticed a small hole in the bottom of the hydrometer. The liquid just leaks out and I have to put my finger over it. It looks like it is meant to be there though???

Please help, not sure.

Thanks

Hi Neil

Float the hydro in the tube and read the value at the meniscus, you'll note that the liquid will angle up slightly at the points where it touches the Hydrometer, However your hydrometer is faulty, they are not supposed to have holes in them. If it is new and part of the DIY kit contact Coopers and they will send you a new one, so I'm told.

Although i have never used a new hydrometer from the new DIY kits there has been multiple complaints about them on here.

I myself only ever use the old school glass beer and wine ones. At least then can properly test High Gravity brews does your one only go up to 1040?

Although i have never used a new hydrometer from the new DIY kits there has been multiple complaints about them on here.

I myself only ever use the old school glass beer and wine ones. At least then can properly test High Gravity brews does your one only go up to 1040?

I've got an old school one, but it doesn't give the same level of discrimination as the Coopers. I have been lucky mine is perfect, I calibrated it by snipping off some of the red stem at the top and it reads up to 1.11 SG and I doubt I will be going that high [wink]

Hi Neil. The hydro has two plastic ends that attach. One is a base so it will stand on a bench and the other a lid which has a small hole for what i assume is to let air in so the thing doesn't go mouldy. Is it possible you're using the top as the bottom?

A tip I would give is not to leave your hydro to dry in the sun on a black BBQ cover. My is a little bit warped [pinched]

Whoa I am confused [unsure] [surprised perhaps that's not hard to do.

The hydrometer is the piece that floats, the clear plastic bit with the red ends is the tube that the hydrometer floats in. I assumed Neil had a hole in his Hydrometer but on reading Andy's post and re reading Neil's post (re putting his finger over it) I concur that perhaps the hydrometer is OK [cool]

Thanks for the responses guys.

I found the wide red cap which I put in the hydrometer so that problem is solved.

Adam was right I was using it upside down lol. Thanks Adam.

Anyway I've now bottled the brew and can't wait to try it after second fermentation.

Cheers [biggrin]

Archived