Coopers Community

Just a thought...

Lord Of The Dans

A long long long ago ( as my brewing assistant says) I heard of someone who used black jellybeans for priming sugars. Anyone ever heard of this? Or tried it? My stout is ready for bottling, and I'm not the worlds biggest stout fan, so I thought I might try it, unless someone says otherwise....

..... I'm not the worlds biggest stout fan' date=' so I thought I might try it....[/quote']

Dan

How are you expecting a single black jelly bean to turn you into the world's biggest stout fan [unsure].

Or is it just that you don't mind tipping it out if the jelly beans stuff it up [surprised

Ha ha, I just want to know if anyone has tried it! I don't mind a stout, but I'll never be the worlds biggest fan when there are so many lovely hopped-up pale ales out there!! As for sanitizing the jelly beans, are you taking the piss? I was just gonna suck on them for a bit and spit them into the bottles individually, kinda like a mummy bird feeding it's babies.....

How do you sanitize your carbonation drops/dextrose/brown sugar/other priming sugars??? Am I missing something here?

Have a search over on AHB (top right hand corner) im sure ive read about them before, also redskins, you name it, somebody is likely to have thrown it in, i wont comment on the reported results as it was a long time ago and i cant quite remember the details.

Best of luck

Yob

Yep Yob is correct, members on AHB have primed with Jelly Beans, Skittles and Redskins. Anything that has a sugar content can be used. You do need to figure out how much fermentables they have to ensure you carb at around the expected rates.

Google it, there is heaps of info on it.

Ha ha' date=' I just want to know if anyone has tried it! ......./quote']

I guess the question is will the black jelly bean impart anything other than CO2 to your bottled beer? I am keen to make a Liquorice Stout in the next few months but I am not sure that Black Jelly Beans are the way to go. Some discussion here. Looks like there is even doubt as to wheteher the jelly bean will carb your beer[unsure]

Firstly to kill any bacteria on the sugar

Secondly I want to disolve my sugar to make it easier to mix into my finished brew since I dont want to be stiring at this stage and introducing oxygen. The water I used to disolve my sugar will contain oxygen and boiling drives the oxygen off

Graham in post #10 mentioned the water he boils to dissolve his sugar contains oxygen and boiling drives the oxygen off. I thought water without oxygen is hydrogen. Maybe I should have paid a bit more attention during chemistry classes all those years ago at school.[unsure]

Wikipedia Link

The basic ingredients of jelly beans include sugars, corn syrup, and starch. Relatively minor amounts of the emulsifying agent lecithin, anti-foaming agents, an edible wax such as beeswax, salt, and confectioner's glaze are also included.

Ingredients Link

You're also looking at a host of acidity regulators, flavors and colors (mostly E numbers)

69% sugar

Yahoo Answers Link

1 small jellybean=approx 1.1 gram = .75g sugar

1 large jellybean=apprx 2.8grams =1.9g sugar

Priming at 8g per liter

small - 11 beans per liter

large - 4.2 beans per liter

The non-sugar ingredients make up only 31% of a bean, but when you're looking at 4-11 jelly beans per liter, it all adds up...

I used a calculator and the interwebs, so it must be true.[biggrin]

Also, a lot of people here seem to like adding a drop of blackcurrant cordial to their guinness glass before pouring (mostly girls and college students), to combat the bitterness.

maybe that would be a better option if you're not too keen on the taste of stout.

Graham in post #10 mentioned the water he boils to dissolve his sugar contains oxygen and boiling drives the oxygen off. I thought water without oxygen is hydrogen. Maybe I should have paid a bit more attention during chemistry classes all those years ago at school.[unsure]

My understanding is that the oxygen molecule in the makeup of water (H2o) is different to the dissolved oxygen (o2) introduced by aggitating it, this can be reduced by boiling water

If you take the oxygen out of water won't that just leave hydrogen?? [crying]

if water is the only ingredient, and your point is?....

That if that happened (which it can't, at least not at any temperatures or pressure you can achieve at home) then there wouldn't be any water, just heated Hydrogen and Oxygen gases floating around.

...put a cup of water in a saucepan' date=' put it on the stove and bring to the boil, leave boiling for an hour....what have you got?.......[biggrin']

An empty pan and increased WATER VAPOR and the dissolved gasses in the air...sorry, not oxygen and hydrogen as separate gases. It IS possible to separate the oxygen and hydrogen atoms...but it isn't easy and you don't achieve this by boiling. Yep, I saw the big grin, I'm just stirring that pot a little bit[lol] [lol]

Now, back to that "jelly bean" thing, that actually sounds interesting.

Archived