Coopers Community

My Coopers Beer Is Weak - Why?

JeremyW4

Hi folks

I recently brewed some Coopers English Bitter. All the ingredients were in date but the finished product is disappointing coming out at only about 2% ABV. Anyone have any suggestions as to what went wrong?

The weather was fairly cool when I brewed it so I kept the brew bin wrapped in a blanket which mostly seemed to keep the temperature within range. The blanket did also cover the collar and I'm wondering if the extra weight of the blanket on the lid restricted the escape of gas and possibly caused a weak brew?

Also maybe the London water isn't the best, though doesn't have a particularly chloriney smell so not sure if it was that.

Any suggestions/advice appreciated. Ta!

All the ingredients were in date but the finished product is disappointing coming out at only about 2% ABV.

G'day Jeremy

Can you list the ingredients that you added to the kit?

Also what was your original specific gravity and your final gravity? How long did the brew stay in the FV?

G'day Nelson

Ta for your reply. I used Brew Enhancer 1 and 1 carbonation drop per bottle, malt was English Bitter. OG was 1.027 on 19/2/2012 and FV was 1.015 on both 26 and 27/2/2012, bottled on 27th. Cheers!

Weird mate, BE1 is about 800g Dextrose when combined with a 1.7kg kit at 23L should have been an OG of around 1,036 and an expected FG of around 1.006. (4.6 abv out of the fermenter)

Of course its not always exact but your figures are no where near, what was your volume of liquid? Are you sure your sugars disolved enough when you took your OG reading? and how cold did your brew drop to during fermentation? Sounds like the fermentation stalled.

I rekon the ingredients were not mixed propperly...

Yob

I'm with Yob. By not mixing your ingredients you end up with an incorrect OG, however Yob's little mates will still munch through those sugars giving you the required alcohol volume.

The other thing you need to be sure of is your technique when taking your FG, make sure you de-gas your sample and prior to use check your hydrometer in water at 20'C; most of them read high.

Your EB is more than likely in the 4- 4.5%% range and the only way to tell will be to drink 1/2 dozen and see how happy you are [happy]

(snip) Your EB is more than likely in the 4- 4.5%% range and the only way to tell will be to drink 1/2 dozen and see how happy you are [happy]

After years in quality control, that is one test I never heard of....but I LIKE it[lol]

Hi folks

Thanks for all your replies. I'm not sure what the actual yeast was as the sachet is now thrown away, the brew shop seem to think it only says "yeast" on it anyway.

I followed the instructions as on the DVD very closely as I recall and filled the brew bin to the right level and dissolved the sugars. I recall I didn't really stir in the malt but this was because it was almost impossible to stir it and I don't think the DVD said this was neccessary.

The temperature didn't drop below 20C or 19C tops. Bottle size is 350ml. Tasting/drinking has confirmed the weakness of the brew as well as the hydro reading.

From what you've said it looks like "stalling" might be the most likely problem. I wonder if this could be to do with the chlorine content on the London water.

You may be ok Jeremy. It sounds like your readings are out due to lack of mixing but the yeast should have done its job and made up for that. You rushed it into the bottle a bit early but hopefully the fermentation was complete. You will almost certainly have a beer higher than 2% - probably around 4-4.5% as others have suggested.

Take Scott's advice and drink 6 quality control test [biggrin]

Also, in future try to leave your beer in the fermentor longer....2 weeks is a good rule of thumb for ales [rightful]

I followed the instructions as on the DVD very closely as I recall and filled the brew bin to the right level and dissolved the sugars. I recall I didn't really stir in the malt but this was because it was almost impossible to stir it and I don't think the DVD said this was neccessary.

From what you've said it looks like "stalling" might be the most likely problem. I wonder if this could be to do with the chlorine content on the London water.

Additional advice:

Burn the DVD instructions. They are shite.

Yob

Hi folks

You do mean you filled up with 2-3 litres of hot water and disolved the sugars and the malt, stired it and then filled up to 20something liters?

Get a water quality report for your area.

If your worried about the chlorine use Campden tab's in your water this should remove chlorine if its really that bad, failing that use spring water.

If your just making a basic kit + sugars the steps would be to pour those in the FV first, add 2L of hot water and stir. When disolved top the FV up to 23L, add yeast, fit airlock, take Grav reading, keep between 18-20c during fermentation.

The CD should have been something close to those steps to make a basic brew, if you watch any of the basic brewing vids on craigtube (you tube brew guy) hes a stiraholic [biggrin]

the brew shop seem to think it only says "yeast" on it anyway.

If the brew shop has no idea of the yeast they are selling you then I'd suggest to go to a different brew shop. That is pretty bad product knowledge when in fact the yeast is probably the most important thing for a supply to correctly advise.

There is a big difference between an Ale to a Lager yeast and that is without even going into the different yeast for styles.

Pretty piss poor shop if you ask me!... I certainly wouldn't bother going back to them for advise that's for sure.

Archived