Coopers Community

Murray River English Bitter

Hello all just pitched the yeast on my first proper English Bitter recepie as follows.

1 Can Int English Bitter

1KG LDM

500 Grams Dextrose

200 Grams Crystal (30 min steep 65 degrees) 5 Litres water used

30 grams EKG 20 gm 5 min boil 10 grams added then soaked 15 mins with the lid on. Chose not to strain into FV this time

125 ml Wyeast Activator London Ale 1028

Followed the standard way of doing it you could say even done all the Anal instructions on yeast packet properly sort of. It said break the Inner pack and allow to Incubate at 21 to 24 Degrees celcius for 3 hours and shake well etc. After 3 hours started poring and me 2 packets lol only one was burst. So i cut the other with scissors and poured it in was over it by this stage hopefully all goes well.

Has anybody here had an issue like this using liquid yeast? Im sure will be fine just curious. Well hopefully its a killer just have to wait i suppose [whistling

Also i topped up to 23 litres and OG: 1052 so im hoping to get it down to a FG of about 1010. 5.8 to 6% would be nice for winter warming. Showing promising activity today hope that second unburst satchet that didnt swell 3 hours as per instructions does the job still close to 50 dollar brew at stake [crying]

I owe you a comment Jimmius [lol] - Unfortunately I'm just here for moral support and no real advice.

The recipe sounds good but I've only used White Labs lquid yeast but never Wyeast so I don't know much about the activator scenario.

I guess you'll just have to see what happens....fingers crossed [biggrin]

Hopefully thanks for the comment back im slowly feeling happy again [cool] I think i offended some people over last few weeks from night shift grumpyness time for me to rebuild my previous high athority around here [lol]

Ok enough talking time to go to the most awarded pie shop in the country thats there claim [happy] but i must agree the best ive had

Thanks smithy only had the pack to go off stressed me out whole 3 hours why waiting then once realised one was not done felt like Armageddon [devil] I feel better now its showing activity thanks mate

Well all seems to be fine with the brew had a good smell today while dry hopping smelt yummy.

I had no more EKG left and really wanted to dry hop with something but no more english hops. As i couldnt afford 30 bucks juice money to drive 100km round trip to get more i chucked in 20 grams of cascade.

When i thought about it keeping it as English as possible wasnt as important as keeping it as hoppy as i want it im sure will still be a good drop cant wait until middle of winter to drink it all [happy]

That was my worry Graham with all the malt i knew for my taste would need more than 30 grams EKG and all i had left was Cascade and Amarillo so went with the Cascade never used before.

Ideally i would have wanted EKG or Fuggels but as i said in the country big drives for supplies and i didnt Order enough in last mail order. [devil]

But i will deffinatly be doing another Proper English Bitter in a month or so properly and well stocked this time [happy]

...Americanised a 400 year old tradition [crying]

Sounds like you're creating your own American War of Independence (in a bottle) there Jamie, hopefully it doesn't drink like that [bandit]

Thats right Scott why not stir things up a bit England and America are good allys now. At first taste yesterday while taking a reading was quite nice verry hoppy as is prefer over sweet malt taste. The reading was 1012 which already puts it at 5.36% i think its done but will take another reading on Monday then Tuesday and bottle.

I would say after about 2 to 3 months in bottle will be perfect for me ill try to make it last for winter [lol]

Ill be soon doing another one but first another American Pale Ale

may as well have the ingredients there.

Hey, sounds good there Jimmy.

How did your colour turn out?

I love cascade, but when I first hopped a beer, didn't know much

About it & LHBS gave me cascade to hop my porter, anyhow, it tastes like fly spray![pinched].

I may have stuffed up elsewhere though[innocent].

Anyway, please let me know the colour, I love red/amber, malty ales.

As i can remember from taking the reading it was Darkish brown with a red tinge to it looked good though. After a few months into bottole conditioning is where the redness comes out more i have heard due to the crystal malt i added not sure if its correct or not.

Hey all this may not be very interesting to anyone but im of nightshift home alone and no one to talk to. Im going to take another gravity reading tomorrow and confirm is still at 1012 and bottle.

At the moment im drinking a few Cascade premiums as im building up my winter stockpile and making do of this maby last 30 degree day for a while. Saying that im sitting inside half drunk hoping to get a few hours sleep before kids get home. But now i cant stop pissing [pinched]

Do you ever support the over expensive drop with the Tassie Tiger on it bill? or an all home brew man? wouldnt blame you if was with all those kegs and grain stuff. My next thing is a 35 litre urn i found on ebay free shipping 135 bucks not sure if powerful enough yet and when ill get money but its mine.

Peacefull Brewing and Drinking everybody [happy]

(snip) Do you ever support the over expensive drop with the Tassie Tiger on it bill? (snip)

Not sure about Bill, but for me Cascade Premium is the 2nd best Premium Lager available in Australia, the best is Boags Premium.

As for price when I was in Hong Kong last year the supermarket had both of these on special, worked out the Boags was 75 cents a stubbie and the Cascade was 90 cents a stubbie and that was when only purchasing two stubbies at a time; Go Figure.

[bandit] But alas, I will only be drinking these when I am out and Craft Beers are unavailable. At home its DIY all the way from now on [love] .

Boags premium are you serious? its a nice drop also but IMO id put cascade first just pay through the ass for it where i am and even when i lived in Tassie and brewed down te road was sometimes worse [rightful]

Not sure what it is with the Boags i suspect it might have a small amount of wheat in it and not enough hops to cover it. But comercial Lager wise very good beers.

In Hong Kong that cheap did it taste like real thing or Brewed over there?

Oh forgot important info brew was still steady at 1012 so i bottled her up today. Stll smelt nice and tasted good for a green beer as in young and uncarbonated. No problems or blockages with hops i left them in there decided not to scoop out.

BRILLIANT! ill comando style with hops for good now

My test bottle is a 1.5 litre actual Grolsh bottle the beer was in me and a mate will test after a month.

As well i got 24 stubbies 10 longnecks and a 500 ml cider bottle left maby a litre with to much hops residue but verry happy still [happy]

Oh forgot important info brew was still steady at 1012 so i bottled her up today. Stll smelt nice and tasted good for a green beer as in young and uncarbonated. No problems or blockages with hops i left them in there decided not to scoop out.

BRILLIANT! ill comando style with hops for good now

My test bottle is a 1.5 litre actual Grolsh bottle the beer was in me and a mate will test after a month.

As well i got 24 stubbies 10 longnecks and a 500 ml cider bottle left maby a litre with to much hops residue but verry happy still [happy]

Where's the rest of your beer Jamie? That's only 18.5 litres, I always get 21.5 litres from a 23l batch, I reckon that 3 litres is too much for the Angel's Share [whistling . But I also strain my hop wort, can't bear the thought of losing 3 litres [annoyed]

Correction 11 longnecks must make it 19.2 litres yeah next time ill use stockings for dry hopping and strain hops from boil then i can bottle all the way down. Oh well live and learn id usually only get one more longneck than that anyway i dont get too close to trube anyway it stirs a little why lifting onto my chest freezer where i bottle.

Cascade are probably my favorite hop but Im a pom and cant believe you've just gone and Americanised a 400 year old tradition [crying]

Good thing the Boston Tea Party didn't sever all links between America and Britain.

Tea is for SWMBO, let the Boston Beer Party commence...

1 day in the bottle and i wish it was already the middle of winter so i can drink the fruits of my labour think thats the expression [cool]

Because its not and its 30 degrees for next few days up here guess my 30 can block of Boags and a couple of cascade stubbies will have to do. Next week i plan on drinking a draught i forgot to add hops to with lemon and lime. I was going to do the hop flowers in glass trick as yob and some others do but lemons are cheaper [happy]

• 3 weeks later...

Just sampling my 500 ml bottle i put aside to try after a month [rightful] bad me. Its actually quiet nice can taste the bitterness there and the aroma from late addition and dry hopping is nice but not too strong.

Carbonation seems to be where i like it for a darkish ale but defenatly needs more time as i suspected head dies down quickly.

Those previous comments were written after only a few sips from glass. Still very nice but the more i drank i noticed a strong dry finish coming through and very little hop aroma. I then done some research on yeast and yes was dry finishing.

I have read that english yeast is also know for stripping hop flavour so next time ill use a different one to compare and if same results i guess ill just be adding more hops [love]

Archived