Coopers Community

Hey Muddy!

Canadian Eh!L

Hi MW,

I've been meaning to put down your "Yakkity Yak" recipe. I have a Cooper's Commercial starter going and was wondering if this recipe would be a good one for that yeast. I know that US-05 and the coop's commercial are totally different but I was just wondering[innocent] .

Hey Muddy,

I've never tried a fat yak and most likely never will. It sounds like a nice beer. This fact allows me to believe it is alright to play with your recipe. You see, I have a packet of US-05 which would follow your recipe to a tee, but I can't ever seem to follow a recipe 100%. This being said I was wondering what you thought about how the change of yeast would effect the brew. It could be said that the US-05 is a neutral style yeast and would not add much in the way of flavour and would profile the hops or malt where as the Coop's yeast adds more of a flavour aspect to the brew. My though is that i might be muddling the profile of the brew.

I guess I'm wondering if i shouldn't tweek the hops schedule to fit the yeast style? I might not know what I am talking about and could quite possibly be out of my mind.[sideways] [wink]

By the way, I have a back up recipe using a Real Ale kit, etc. for the Coop's yeast starter.[unsure]

So I thought I'd tell you what I came up with.

It seems I got no where close to your "YY".

I called it:

The Real Aussie Ale

1.7Kg OS Real Ale

1Kg LDM

566g Amber LME

400g Crystal 20L

250g Dex

23L water (6L tap 17L RO bottled water)

2L Cooper's recultured yeast starter Pitched @ 21C Brewed @ 18C

5g Chinook 20mins

5g Nelson Sauvin 10mins, 5mins

5g Cascade 10mins, 5mins

5g cooper's ale yeast @ 1min as nutrient

14L Boil OG 1.054

So you can see it is no where near your recipe. This only means that the YakYak is still on the to do list.

By the way, I named this one after you![cool]

Archived