Coopers Community

Re-carbonating bottles

DylanI

Hi all

Has anyone had flat beers, opened them, re-primed them and resealed them?

A while ago I bottled my attempt at a black IPA. Tastes great, smells great, but it's flat as a tack after two weeks. I know it's too early to do anything rash, but I'm considering re-priming all the bottles.

I bulk prime. Typically, the process of tapping the beer from one fermenter to the other stirs in the sugar that I bulk prime with. I aimed for 2.5 vols of CO2 from using 160g dextrose for a 23L batch. The issue was that a large proportion of the dextrose was still in the bottom of my fermenter once I'd finished bottling.

I've checked two bottles, both BARELY make a noise when I open them and are totally flat. Any tips? Should I wait another week or two, if there's still no action, have another go at priming? I'm sure the issue is a lack of food for the yeast, as opposed to dead yeast.

Help.

-Dylan

open 2 bottles now, put 1 carb drop in one and 2 in another, wait 2 weeks amd open both again, the problem you face is not knowing how much dex did dissolve, next time add the dex to 200-300ml of water and bring to the boil, dissolve it and you will get an even mix.

Good luck

Archived