Coopers Community

Citra hops in what?

CliffH1

I just picked up 28 grams of Citra hops. I'm trying to decide whether to use them to dry hop an IPA or a Cerveza.

I just bottled an IPA that I dry hopped with Chinook and the taste and aroma is amazing.

So I have both the IPA and Cerveza sitting here with a can of light malt. Any suggestions? I've never used Citra hops and I'm not sure which would be best...if there is a best[roll]

Im a big fan of Citra also, mostly always in an APA

Amarillo / Citra

Citra / Galaxy

Wai Iti / Cirta

Citra / Halletau

Nelson Sav / Citra

I could go on [lol] I rekon Citra is one of those that goes best with another, I like to do mini boils of about 6 lt (Partial Brews)and can be seen throwing in 10g @ 20mins, 10g @ 10mins, 10g @ 5mins, and 10g @ 0 and also a bit of dryhopping [love] mixed blended hops that is, like listed above,

Freaking great hop and Id love to grow some but suspect that they are as rare as rocking horse poo [lol]

Yob

I also bottled recently an APA I called 'Summer Ale', where I used Nelson and Citra. It was originally meant to be Nelson and Cascade but BeerBelly had run out of Cascade!

I had trouble getting enough heat to have a real vigorous boil, (it was a 5L boil), so it ended up being a gentle boil.

I thought it was going to be ordinary due to this but it has turned out just about perfect. I used 1056 liquid Wyeast.

The full recipe was:

2x unhopped light malt extract cans

500G dex

10g Nelson, 2g Citra @30 mins

10g Nelson, 10g Citra @20 mins

5g Nelson, 15g Citra @10 mins

6g Citra @0 mins.

23L water

OG 1.050

FG 1.009

DELICIOUS

Thumb in front of face brewing, love it, often do similar [biggrin]

I would, without plugging it in, place it in the low 20's given the quantities and times, as long as it sits right on the pallet, taint nuffin wrong with it either, cracking beers can often jusr be thrown together and lord knows, I've done that often enough myself.

I hope you are rinsing and reusing that yeast too, very expensive for a single batch.

Will say though, it is good to have data against what yoh drink/brew, it allows you to dial in on various factors,

mmmmmm citra[love]

Archived