Coopers Community

First IPA

RobertT6

Hey everyone,

I am looking to brew my first IPA and noticed on this site in the how to brew section two different IPA's. It seemed that one would be mch stronger which is fine, that is how I prefer my brew to be. My days of marathon drinking are over, just like them dark and strong now. Amazing what changes after having kids..lol.

Should a can of malt extract be added or not. That does seem to stray from the instructions. What result would that give me in the finished product. Also what is the difference between using the sugar and dexrtrose which is recommended.

Thanks Bobby

You might want to try clicking on the "How to Brew" tab above, then look under "strong". There is a great IPA listed there. I've made it using a can of IPA and a can of light malt instead of the dry malt. Either way, nice brew. Use dextrose instead of regular sugar to avoid cidery tastes. The extra malt used in the recipe will give higher alcohol, more mouth feel, and just a "bigger" brew. The recipe under the can lid is okay, but a little on the wimpy side for many drinkers.

After you bottle it, give it time, maybe a couple months or more. The taste will be MUCH better than after just a couple weeks needed to get the carbonation completed.

Cliff

Archived