Coopers Community

Gold Medal Golden Ale - July 2024 Recipe of the Month

This will be my first ROTM! Exactly the sort of beer I wanted to make anyways with Galaxy and Eclipse. My question is, the hops amounts seem pretty small to me, especially for a 25L batch. I was thinking about doubling the hop amounts except for perhaps the hot steep Galaxy as I’d like more flavour and aroma but not more bitterness. Does this sound reasonable? Or would it perhaps unbalance the beer too much 🤔

Also is the “Coopers English Ale Yeast” a coopers version of something like S04?

Edited by NBillett09
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, NBillett09 said:

This will be my first ROTM! Exactly the sort of beer I wanted to make anyways with Galaxy and Eclipse. My question is, the hops amounts seem pretty small to me, especially for a 25L batch. I was thinking about doubling the hop amounts except for perhaps the hot steep Galaxy as I’d like more flavour and aroma but not more bitterness. Does this sound reasonable? Or would it perhaps unbalance the beer too much 🤔

Also is the “Coopers English Ale Yeast” a coopers version of something like S04?

Doubling the dry hop amounts would be perfectly fine.  It would head the beer into more of an XPA direction.

It is fair to say the Coopers English Ale Yeast is something like S04, but not necessarily the same as S04.  Is it a repackaged commercial yeast or something Coopers has a yeast company produce for it?  Only Coopers know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1