Coopers Community

Azacca Cadabra ROTM yeast temperature

Hello everyone,

I bought the Azacca Cadabra recipe and it uses a German Lager yeast, but the instructions say ferment at 18-25 degrees… Is this right? My understanding of lager yeast is we want more like 12-15 degrees… Is it a higher temp for this recipe to achieve some certain flavour? Appreciate the community’s knowledge on this one - whether I should follow the recipe temp (18-25) or ferment at lager temps (12-15).

Recipe: https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/azacca-cadabra-pale-ale.html

cheers!

6 hours ago, lachstock said:

Hello everyone,

I bought the Azacca Cadabra recipe and it uses a German Lager yeast, but the instructions say ferment at 18-25 degrees… Is this right? My understanding of lager yeast is we want more like 12-15 degrees… Is it a higher temp for this recipe to achieve some certain flavour? Appreciate the community’s knowledge on this one - whether I should follow the recipe temp (18-25) or ferment at lager temps (12-15).

Recipe: https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/azacca-cadabra-pale-ale.html

cheers!

Hey, there is nothing in the recipe description to help figure out why the instruction says to ferment between 18-25°C.  Fermenting a Lager yeast at Ale yeast temperatures, as per the instructions creates a Steam Ale.  Maybe the brew is after the higher esters, as @ChairmanDrew notes, to assist with enhancing the fruity flavours.

You certainly can ferment it at lager temperatures, it will still taste very nice.

If you can, what would be cool, is to split the batch, add half the yeast to each fermenter, and ferment one cool and the other warm.  Then tell us about the results.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Well, it is called Azacca-Cadabra Pale Ale, rather than lager. Probably would have been good if they had stated in the description what the use of the lager yeast was in the recipe.

Edited by ChairmanDrew
  • Like 3