Coopers Community

Gabs Melbourne

ozdevil

Well what a weekend of beer drinking and wishing i could go to the last session   

Friday met up with a good friend   for the 1st session  even though he got there late after train delays  we made our way into the  hall at melbourne showgrounds .    we did a lap  just to see what venders was on offer as well as food  .

The venue while i thought it was not bad in a position  and easy to get to but lacked a bit of charm unlike other yeasrs when been held at the royal exhibition centre in Carlton.

i also  thought it lacked many brewing  vendors  but it is what it is  but  you could  could get beers from the containers containing  1-120 beers  either by paddle or by glass.

i missed friday nights session and was told friday was pretty good  .

day 2  decided  to go back   met up  With Mr homebrew network  Gash  and spent the arvo with a mate of his doing the rounds of the beer hall  

i tossed up wether to do  the Saturday night session but after getting home friday night after the footy at 12:30am and then waking up at 4am saturday morning and then playing golf and by the time  the 1st session  of gabs   i was knackered  so even though i could have hung around  with Gash etc  i made the way home and  just went straight to bed haha

anyway  

some of the beers  i hade  

was from
goodland brewing
Rusty Penny
Hawkers
Bright brewery
reckless
Fox Fridays
one drop
Mountain culture
Moatain Goat
Jetty Road
Garage Project
Hop Nation
Stomping Ground
Clifton  hill

A interesting beer  i hade was a plain  pale ale   but what i liked about this  it gave you a good  hit of  coffee at the start with a bit of Coconut on the back end   this was from Rusty Penny

i mainly  drinking the big beers   that was on offer  mainly the oat cream dipa's   Red ryes  as well as a few Stouts

Was a great time  but would have loved to have done all sessions but commitment  this weekend made it tough

cheers
OZ   

• Like 7

1 hour ago, ozdevil said:

Well what a weekend of beer drinking and wishing i could go to the last session   

Friday met up with a good friend   for the 1st session  even though he got there late after train delays  we made our way into the  hall at melbourne showgrounds .    we did a lap  just to see what venders was on offer as well as food  .

The venue while i thought it was not bad in a position  and easy to get to but lacked a bit of charm unlike other yeasrs when been held at the royal exhibition centre in Carlton.

i also  thought it lacked many brewing  vendors  but it is what it is  but  you could  could get beers from the containers containing  1-120 beers  either by paddle or by glass.

i missed friday nights session and was told friday was pretty good  .

day 2  decided  to go back   met up  With Mr homebrew network  Gash  and spent the arvo with a mate of his doing the rounds of the beer hall  

i tossed up wether to do  the Saturday night session but after getting home friday night after the footy at 12:30am and then waking up at 4am saturday morning and then playing golf and by the time  the 1st session  of gabs   i was knackered  so even though i could have hung around  with Gash etc  i made the way home and  just went straight to bed haha

anyway  

some of the beers  i hade  

was from
goodland brewing
Rusty Penny
Hawkers
Bright brewery
reckless
Fox Fridays
one drop
Mountain culture
Moatain Goat
Jetty Road
Garage Project
Hop Nation
Stomping Ground
Clifton  hill

A interesting beer  i hade was a plain  pale ale   but what i liked about this  it gave you a good  hit of  coffee at the start with a bit of Coconut on the back end   this was from Rusty Penny

i mainly  drinking the big beers   that was on offer  mainly the oat cream dipa's   Red ryes  as well as a few Stouts

Was a great time  but would have loved to have done all sessions but commitment  this weekend made it tough

cheers
OZ   

Yeah, I thought as well that there were fewer vendors this time than my last appearance. However, this was a few years ago and things always looked bigger when we were younger. Wagon Wheels anyone 😂

I tasted some really good beer, some unusual but still surprisingly tasty and some outright awful concoctions. The worst looking and I didn't taste it, was a clear green liquid, which surprisingly tasted like white chocolate as I have been told. Never dared to try it myself. The most unusual but surprisingly tasty one was a "Hot Chocolate Porter" but I cannot remember who sold it. It was, oddly enough, a porter but it came with and reader discretion is advised, a dollop of whipped cream, chocolate sprinkles and a toasted marsh mellow. Somehow all the flavours came together and made a nice drink. Dare I say I actually had two of those? 

Another interesting beer I had was a Lemongrass Kölsch by Aether Brewing. I was a little reluctant at first but I think the lemon flavour was quite a good pairing with the Kölsch. I had a good chat with one of the brewers there as well. 

One of the things I like about festivals like that, You find yourself a spot to sit, ask the guys next to you about their tasting paddles and you never drink alone again for the rest of the day. 

Bring on GABS 2025!

• Like 5