Coopers Community

Fresh Hop season 2024

I had other ideas for near future brews, but now the cones are in bloom. I'm probably going to try something (sort of) mild, with light extract malt and single hop boil/steep. Have to look into how to dry hop while keeping it sterile.

Anyone else got any plans?

On 2/27/2024 at 9:20 PM, ChairmanDrew said:

I had other ideas for near future brews, but now the cones are in bloom. I'm probably going to try something (sort of) mild, with light extract malt and single hop boil/steep. Have to look into how to dry hop while keeping it sterile.

Anyone else got any plans?

Hey @ChairmanDrew I'm not sure what hops you are growing or have access to (fresh), but I have a VINTNER'S LAGER in the tub as I type; using Nelson Sauvin & Enigma Hops both as bittering the wort and then again as a dry hop for flavour / aroma during fermentation in the Kit 'n bits recipe here.

Unfortunately the hops used were palletised, but I gotta say the first tastes via the hydrometer tube just before cold crashing today is suggesting its going to be a winner 😉😋🥳

Not a light extract malt, but my next in will be a  TRENDY TROUSERS AMBER ALE  using Galaxy Hops - Hopefully another winner 😉 🍺🍺🍺🍺

Good luck with your next brew, I'm envious of you having fresh hops cobber, I reckon that would be just the ducks nuts if I'm honest - But I love me (hunter gather and all time champion food fiend) dog too much to grow 'em 😔)

• Like 2

Speaking of fresh hop season, they have a hop festival at Beechworth in NE VIC at harvest time in March every year. 

Sorry to @ChairmanDrew for going off thread but I thought this may interest some of you who can get there and see how hops are harvested, dried and packaged for the breweries.  There is an outlet on the highway just South of Myrtleford where you can tour a hop distributor and buy fresh hops.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Speaking of fresh hop season, they have a hop festival at Beechworth in NE VIC at harvest time in March every year. 

Sorry to @ChairmanDrew for going off thread but I thought this may interest some of you who can get there and see how hops are harvested, dried and packaged for the breweries.  There is an outlet on the highway just South of Myrtleford where you can tour a hop distributor and buy fresh hops.

Great info @iBooz2 - Just 3,300 Kms too far away for me at the moment 😉 🤦‍♂️ 😂 🤣 😂

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

That would be interesting to see how they manage to condense it down into those tiny little pallets.

1 hour ago, Triple B Brewing said:

Hey @ChairmanDrew I'm not sure what hops you are growing or have access to (fresh), but I have a VINTNER'S LAGER in the tub as I type; using Nelson Sauvin & Enigma Hops both as bittering the wort and then again as a dry hop for flavour / aroma during fermentation in the Kit 'n bits recipe here.

Unfortunately the hops used were palletised, but I gotta say the first tastes via the hydrometer tube just before cold crashing today is suggesting its going to be a winner 😉😋🥳

Not a light extract malt, but my next in will be a  TRENDY TROUSERS AMBER ALE  using Galaxy Hops - Hopefully another winner 😉 🍺🍺🍺🍺

Good luck with your next brew, I'm envious of you having fresh hops cobber, I reckon that would be just the ducks nuts if I'm honest - But I love me (hunter gather and all time champion food fiend) dog too much to grow 'em 😔)

The hops are off a mates vine (only planted mine earlier this year so no cones yet). He doesn't know what they are, I remember him saying he planted two types but he suspects one has muscled out the other.

Last year when I was just getting into homebrew I used a Coopers Real Ale as a base as well a bunch of hops in the boil. The end result was medicinely bitter, so this time I will be leaving out the prehopped can. I might try something similar to the Nelson's Light recipe which I was happy with recently, except using all fresh hops and probably a bit more fermentables. I'd like to add some crushed malt, but I have to pay the courier cost for that where I am, so better to bulk the order out if I can.

Whatever I do end up doing, it's gotta be some day pretty soon while the hops are still fresh.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChairmanDrew said:

The hops are off a mates vine (only planted mine earlier this year so no cones yet). He doesn't know what they are, I remember him saying he planted two types but he suspects one has muscled out the other.

Last year when I was just getting into homebrew I used a Coopers Real Ale as a base as well a bunch of hops in the boil. The end result was medicinely bitter, so this time I will be leaving out the prehopped can. I might try something similar to the Nelson's Light recipe which I was happy with recently, except using all fresh hops and probably a bit more fermentables. I'd like to add some crushed malt, but I have to pay the courier cost for that where I am, so better to bulk the order out if I can.

Whatever I do end up doing, it's gotta be some day pretty soon while the hops are still fresh.

Arrhhaa well that’s a bit of a challenge not knowing what breed of hops ya workin with 🤷‍♂️

Yeah I’m lead to believe the Real Ale concentrate is already heavily hopped in the bitter space, so to add more hops in a boil might well tip the bitterness scale beyond a suitable balance. 
Yep good call on a recipe like a Nelson’s Light and using them quickly - that all sounds like a good plan. 
I’m planning to make this Nelson Light with a partial mash towards the end of this year when I place my next order 

NELSON%27S%20LIGHT%20-%20With%20A%20Partial%20Mash%20-%20Beer%20Recipe%20-%20Brewer%27s%20Friend.pdf

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Triple B Brewing said:

Arrhhaa well that’s a bit of a challenge not knowing what breed of hops ya workin with 🤷‍♂️

Yeah I’m lead to believe the Real Ale concentrate is already heavily hopped in the bitter space, so to add more hops in a boil might well tip the bitterness scale beyond a suitable balance. 
Yep good call on a recipe like a Nelson’s Light and using them quickly - that all sounds like a good plan. 
I’m planning to make this Nelson Light with a partial mash towards the end of this year when I place my next order 

NELSON%27S%20LIGHT%20-%20With%20A%20Partial%20Mash%20-%20Beer%20Recipe%20-%20Brewer%27s%20Friend.pdf 293.25 kB · 0 downloads

I think my Nelson's Light ended up sitting at around 3.3% (I'm actually drinking one right now).

As far as the fresh hops go, I got a bit of an idea of the flavour profile using them last year. With a solid year of brewing now under my belt I feel I can definitely improve on last seasons outing, i.e. drop the straight up table sugar sucrose, no more pre-hopped cans, etc... Still on the extract brewing method, just cleaning up my act 😄

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ChairmanDrew said:

I think my Nelson's Light ended up sitting at around 3.3% (I'm actually drinking one right now).

As far as the fresh hops go, I got a bit of an idea of the flavour profile using them last year. With a solid year of brewing now under my belt I feel I can definitely improve on last seasons outing, i.e. drop the straight up table sugar sucrose, no more pre-hopped cans, etc... Still on the extract brewing method, just cleaning up my act 😄

WOOHOO well alright look at you go - good job 👏🙌 🍺🍺🍺🍺

Sounds good - 3.3% eh, I’m hoping to get a well bodied full flavoured mid strength brew from my Nelson’s Light partial mash, so if I landed around those numbers I’d be very happy😉

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Triple B Brewing said:

WOOHOO well alright look at you go - good job 👏🙌 🍺🍺🍺🍺

Sounds good - 3.3% eh, I’m hoping to get a well bodied full flavoured mid strength brew from my Nelson’s Light partial mash, so if I landed around those numbers I’d be very happy😉

Yeah, I reckon its a pretty good sweet spot. Enough alc to bring out the flavour, but low enough so you can still drink a bunch of it and not get trashed. There's very little availble commercially in that range, so I'm happy to make it myself 🍺

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ChairmanDrew said:

Yeah, I reckon its a pretty good sweet spot. Enough alc to bring out the flavour, but low enough so you can still drink a bunch of it and not get trashed. There's very little availble commercially in that range, so I'm happy to make it myself 🍺

If I hit the numbers right, my Mid Pale Ale comes in at 2.9%. I mash at 72C, use lots of specialty malts to keep the body as high as I can and have a nice blend of fruity hops work their little butts off to add tons of flavour. I think it is a very good beer and I am quite proud of it. The fact that I can drink a fair few before I notice is an added bonus 🙂 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

If I hit the numbers right, my Mid Pale Ale comes in at 2.9%. I mash at 72C, use lots of specialty malts to keep the body as high as I can and have a nice blend of fruity hops work their little butts off to add tons of flavour. I think it is a very good beer and I am quite proud of it. The fact that I can drink a fair few before I notice is an added bonus 🙂 

Hey @Aussiekraut, I like that sound of that !! 😋 - I hoping that's not an AG brew, or at least something I could use an extract with and partial mash (as I don't have the hardware for a full AG brew). Do you have a link to your recipe I could have a gander at ?

1 hour ago, Triple B Brewing said:

Hey @Aussiekraut, I like that sound of that !! 😋 - I hoping that's not an AG brew, or at least something I could use an extract with and partial mash (as I don't have the hardware for a full AG brew). Do you have a link to your recipe I could have a gander at ?

No worries. A little correction, it comes in at 3%. I did tinker with the grain bill a little last batch. I have one in front of me right now and I really love it.

Brewzilla Tom 26l batch

70% efficiency

Batch Volume: 26 L (Kettle)

Fermenter Volume: 21 L

Boil Time: 60 min

Mash Water: 25 L

Sparge Water: 7.5 L @ 80 °C

Total Water: 32.50 L

Boil Volume: 30 L

Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.031

Vitals

Original Gravity: 1.036

Final Gravity: 1.013

IBU (Tinseth): 28

BU/GU: 0.76

Colour: 19.1 EBC 

Mash

Strike Temp — 77.2 °C

Saccharification — 72 °C  45 min

Mash out — 78 °C  10 min

Malts (4.25 kg)

1 kg (23.5%) — Ellerslie Coopers Premium Pale Malt — Grain — 3.9 EBC

1 kg (23.5%) — Weyermann Vienna Malt (Weyermann) — Grain — 5.9 EBC

1 kg (23.5%) — Weyermann Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) — Grain — 3.9 EBC

500 g (11.8%) — Weyermann Carahell (Weyermann) — Grain — 25.5 EBC

500 g (11.8%) — Weyermann Caramunich II (Weyermann) — Grain — 124 EBC

250 g (5.9%) — Weyermann Carapils/Carafoam — Grain — 3.9 EBC

Hops (130 g)

20 g (17 IBU) — Melba 8.9% — Boil  30 min

30 g (IBU) — Eclipse 17.3% — Aroma  20 min hopstand

20 g (IBU) — Mandarina Bavaria 7.7% — Aroma  20 min hopstand

20 g — Eclipse 17.2% — Dry Hop  3 days

20 g — Mandarina Bavaria 7.7% — Dry Hop  3 days

20 g — Melba 8.9% — Dry Hop  3 days

Hopstand at 80 °C

Miscs

1 items — Whirlfloc Tablet  Boil  1 min

Yeast

1 pkg — Lallemand (LalBrew) Verdant IPA 77%

Fermentation

Primary — 18 °C  days

Cold Crash — 2 °C  5 days

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

No worries. A little correction, it comes in at 3%. I did tinker with the grain bill a little last batch. I have one in front of me right now and I really love it.

Brewzilla Tom 26l batch

70% efficiency

Batch Volume: 26 L (Kettle)

Fermenter Volume: 21 L

Boil Time: 60 min

Mash Water: 25 L

Sparge Water: 7.5 L @ 80 °C

Total Water: 32.50 L

Boil Volume: 30 L

Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.031

Vitals

Original Gravity: 1.036

Final Gravity: 1.013

IBU (Tinseth): 28

BU/GU: 0.76

Colour: 19.1 EBC 

Mash

Strike Temp — 77.2 °C

Saccharification — 72 °C  45 min

Mash out — 78 °C  10 min

Malts (4.25 kg)

1 kg (23.5%) — Ellerslie Coopers Premium Pale Malt — Grain — 3.9 EBC

1 kg (23.5%) — Weyermann Vienna Malt (Weyermann) — Grain — 5.9 EBC

1 kg (23.5%) — Weyermann Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) — Grain — 3.9 EBC

500 g (11.8%) — Weyermann Carahell (Weyermann) — Grain — 25.5 EBC

500 g (11.8%) — Weyermann Caramunich II (Weyermann) — Grain — 124 EBC

250 g (5.9%) — Weyermann Carapils/Carafoam — Grain — 3.9 EBC

Hops (130 g)

20 g (17 IBU) — Melba 8.9% — Boil  30 min

30 g (IBU) — Eclipse 17.3% — Aroma  20 min hopstand

20 g (IBU) — Mandarina Bavaria 7.7% — Aroma  20 min hopstand

20 g — Eclipse 17.2% — Dry Hop  3 days

20 g — Mandarina Bavaria 7.7% — Dry Hop  3 days

20 g — Melba 8.9% — Dry Hop  3 days

Hopstand at 80 °C

Miscs

1 items — Whirlfloc Tablet  Boil  1 min

Yeast

1 pkg — Lallemand (LalBrew) Verdant IPA 77%

Fermentation

Primary — 18 °C  days

Cold Crash — 2 °C  5 days

Thanks @Aussiekraut, while I don’t currently have the hardware to make an AG brew like this, I can see (and appreciate understanding) what’s in the grain bill and the types of hops you’ve used. 
I’m just imagining a cold one based on this recipe and I’m likin what I’m dreamin 😉😂🤣😂

I guess I’ll just have to try and find an extract base that will get me close and then try to backfill with a small partial mash to fill in the gaps 🙏

Thanks again for the share cobber - awesome food for thought 🤔🍺🍺🍺🍺

• Like 1

And there goes my fresh hop brew in the fermentor. I just kind of followed the Nelson's Light instructions using what I had around as it was a brew that I hadn't planned to make until I was offered the fresh hops. Caught me on the hop 🥁

140g of mystery roadside hops boiled for 30 mins in 2/3 a box of Coopers BE2

140g of mystery roadside hops added at flame off for 30 mins

At this point I had to go out for a few hours, so I got my missus to leave the pot in a sink of cold water to cool it down

Added rest of BE2 and 1.5kg of Maltexo

Topped up water to 19L, sprinkled 5g of generic brewers yeast.

OG 1.036

The hops were pretty mild smelling this year, so it will probably be a pretty mild, light ale. I still have 120g of frozen hops that I'm thinking to dry hop later. Been reading up on dry hopping with fresh hops, general consensus and experiences are that it shouldn't prove a contamination risk, but I'll keep researching.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Just put this one in the bottle. Hopefully I haven't introduced something weird into it, as per this topic.; straight out of the keg it had a slight white wine flavour to it 🫤 It doesn't seem like the dry hop aroma really got in there either.

Edited by ChairmanDrew
  • Like 2

It will be fine @ChairmanDrew, from what I remember of some of the fresh hop cones I was given years ago, yes, the beers did have a slight chardonnay waft to them, not so much as to detract from the beer though after time.  Back in the day, I found that some fresh hops I used did introduce a slight sour like finish and a winey smell to the beer rather than a bittering smell or a fruity type of aroma that you would expect, but that faded, and the beers were fine IMO.  Please report back after a few weeks.

What type of hops cones were they?

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished up some late night brewing. The hops had a late season revival, so went a picked a bunch. Smelling a lot more pungent this time, so having another go (this time had some better ingredients on hand too);

230g of mystery roadside hops boiled for 30 mins in 500g light malt extract.

250g light crystal malt and 240g of mystery roadside hops added at flame off for 30 mins.

Dunked the pot in a sink of cold water to cool it down for 15 mins.

Added 1kg of BE2 and 1.5kg of Maltexo.

Topped up water to 21L, sprinkled Fermentis Safale S-04 Ale yeast.

OG 1.042 (I don't trust my hydrometer anyway).

Hopefully get a better taste for the hops this time around.

• Like 3