Coopers Community

Dude...where's my Krausen ?? ( ginger beer)

I've brewed since 2020 lockdown, this is my 10th ginger beer and I've done maybe 75 beers/ciders ...but this is the first time ever I've had ZERO krausen and I mean absolutely zero with no rim around the fermenter at all  of its tell-tale residue

BUT it seems to have fermented, I took my hydrometer readings and I hit 4.2% which is exactly what I usually get with that recepie . The fermenter is sparkling like a giant champagne glass , and I can taste the sugar has converted and its fairly dry .

Why do I have absolutely no krausen at all this time when my ginger beers have always had it? Not a huge one but maybe 40% of a pale ale type krausen ? I'm running my house strain of voss kveik , as I always do and have done/re used for about 3 years . Yes I use nutrient, as I always do,  it's my standard recepie 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BreweyMcHops said:

I've brewed since 2020 lockdown, this is my 10th ginger beer and I've done maybe 75 beers/ciders ...but this is the first time ever I've had ZERO krausen and I mean absolutely zero with no rim around the fermenter at all  of its tell-tale residue

BUT it seems to have fermented, I took my hydrometer readings and I hit 4.2% which is exactly what I usually get with that recepie . The fermenter is sparkling like a giant champagne glass , and I can taste the sugar has converted and its fairly dry .

Why do I have absolutely no krausen at all this time when my ginger beers have always had it? Not a huge one but maybe 40% of a pale ale type krausen ? I'm running my house strain of voss kveik , as I always do and have done/re used for about 3 years . Yes I use nutrient, as I always do,  it's my standard recepie 

It sounds like it has fermented, I don't know how long you have had had it going, but if the hydrometer says it's ready, I would pour a sample, fridge it & taste, it won't be carbonated but it should give you an idea.

Otherwise bottle or keg your brew.

• Like 2