Coopers Community

Rad Abbott

15 minutes ago, Marshy211 said:

Started tonight. Followed recipe and came out as planned. I’m concerned the SG of 1.075 will make it like rocket fuel! Should I dilute it or leave it?

Did you tip the first hydrometer fill out as that contains a lot of the sugars when you mixed it then fill the hydrometer again and take the reading

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Marshy211 said:

Yeh my rapt pill reading same. Recipe supposed to be 8% but id prefer weaker I think. 

Well if it gets down to that 1015 mark it's going to be 8% you could add water to soften the abv I reckon @Shamus O'Sean could help on this one

Edited by Back Brewing
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Marshy211 said:

Yeh my rapt pill reading same. Recipe supposed to be 8% but id prefer weaker I think. 

Not a lot you can do with it now Marshy.  Assuming you have made this brew to 23 litres, you could boil 4 litres of water for 5 minutes, let it cool and add it to the fermenter.  That will drop the ABV by about 1%.  That will also dilute the bitterness by about 5 points.  There is always a risk with adding anything to your fermenter once fermentation has started.  I would leave it as it is.  However, if you want to do try diluting your brew, get it done while fermentation is still active, so it mixes up the extra water evenly throughout the brew.