Coopers Community

Help! I've an English Bitter Kit!

AlexF3

Hello All,

I need a little help with the English bitter kit I've gotten myself. I want to make a brew that's about 1.038, but it looks like the recommended kit+500g dry malt extract only gets you to 1.029 for 23 liters. Am I confused? I don't want to shorten it to 19 liters cuz I think that would make it too bitter. Not very experienced with Coopers kits, so I'd appreciate the aid. Thanks!

According to the BJCP Style Guidelines, the Ordinary Bitter has an ABV of 3.2% to 3.8% (see link).

Ordinary Bitter

The English Bitter kit with 500g LDM would sit in the upper end of that range.

Some Crystal malt goes nicely with it and also some late hopping of EKG or Styrian Goldings.

You could also go with an English ale yeast like Safale S-04 or Windsor.

Hmmm. Perhaps I have the wrong data on the Eng Bitter kit, then. I have it coming up as 34 ppg, but maybe that's incorrect. I'd sure love to know the ppg's of all the kits, as that'd make formulating a particular strength much easier.

I only did a rough guess before about the malt quantity.

I punched it into the Beer Designer Spreadsheet from AHB and you may be better with 1kg dry malt. I tend to use 1kg in my English Bitters.

Below is a link to the forum with the spreadsheet that you may find useful. The latest edition is post #391 on page 20.

Beer Designer Spreadsheet

It has all the Coopers kits included.

I haven't used Ringwood before; only read about everyones problems (or not) with diacetyl.

Thank you very much. That looks like just the sort of thing I need.

As for the yeast, it does throw some diacetyl, for sure. If you ferment at a good temp, it'll be a nice amount though. I'd only use it for bitters, though, as that's teh only style I like to have some diacetyl in. No good for an american pale ale, in my opinion, as it's not clean enough.

Archived