Coopers Community

Brew Temps, how fast do those funky flavours happen?

DavidP30

In these hotter sydney temps the best I can do consistently with the gear I've got is 24c during the hottest part. I'm sort of happy since it gets a lot hotter outside and such but still ...

How bad does beer taste at 21c compared to 20c ... and 22c ... and 23c ... and so on. Is it just marginal and beer brewed at 24c is only slightly worse than one at 20c (oh talking coopers ale yeast here) or does every degree make the beer considerably worse, or how does it go?

Well i can tell you for sure david you dont want your beer going as high as 28 for even a few hours or even 26 for that matter. Im drinking a OS Draught now that was up at 28 for 2 maby 3 hours and down to 26 for another few until my ice bricks were ready. Then once it went down to 20 and even 22 for rest of brew was just to hot and hard without a fridge. This was on day 2 and took ages to get away from 28 where i pitched yeast and slowly bought down to 22.

Sorry big story but the beer tasts like shit Banana even like someone else said today. I wouldnt even recomend making it unless can keep temp down to at least 22 minimum but 20 better. I might need a bottle of lemonade to go with this.[crying]

So im not sure how long it takes to damage but if avoided to start with alot bettter.

The acceptable amount and type of esters (aromas/flavours) created during fermentation is a subjective matter.

Some people may tolerate and even enjoy a certain ester [love] , some may be blind to it [sleeping] , while others find it offensive [pinched].

In most cases, funky aromas/flavours, including banana, will dissipate over time in the bottle. [smile]

The acceptable amount and type of esters (aromas/flavours) created during fermentation is a subjective matter.

Words of wisdom, and isn't this the case with just about everything. Instant coffee vs coffee beans, Victoria Bitter vs LCPA and the Coopers OS Lager kit vs Coopers OS Pale Ale Kit and not forgetting the infamous Gosh Ale.

A colleague has been brewing for over 20 years and kegging for the majority of that time. He always uses a heating belt (used to use a fish tank immersion heater) and his brew never drops under 24'C, he loves it. Just before Xmas his brew got up to 28'C, he wasn't to concerned, just commented that he needed to turn his heater off. He also has enough 50 litre kegs to enable a minimum 3 month turn around so perhaps the funkiness has dissipated by then. As an aside he did assure me that if I drank mine before 3 months I would be disappointed.

imo, 22C isn't too bad but not as good as 18C-20C. I also think 22C is considerably better than 24C and anything above, with exception to Saison, then forget it[pinched]. I really can't tell much difference between 18-20C but like 18C as it gives me 2C grace.

From what I understand and have read, correct me if Im wrong..

Most flavour "precursors" occur within perhaps the first few days of fermentation, budding stage and early fermentation is the most critical time for flavour 'precursor' development... get it wrong, and there is only so much cleaning up they can do after the fact..

A chef that cooks a steak at the wrong temperature cannot make it tender again... nor can the yeast do anything about what they have done to the beer...

temperature control is critical to making "great" beer

Yob

Archived