Coopers Community

Potential bottle bombs - should I recap?

Phil Mud

Ok, I suspect I'm being paranoid and while I'm brand new to brewing I have read enough forum advice to know that most of the time you should leave things alone and be patient.

Having said that, my first batch in glass bottles was bottled 5 days ago and I'm trying to determine their potential to explode. The brew was in primary for 14 days and reached FG after 7 of these so at the time of bottling I was very confident that it had finished fermenting. I used coopers carbonation drops and used 2 per longneck. There are a couple of factors now that make me unsure of the stability of this batch:

a) I did fill 4 PET bottles with this brew and they are already feeling quite tight and pressurised. To check just how carbonated they are I opened a tallie - it gave a similar hiss to a commercial brew and I poured about 15ml into a glass and tasted it (very nice!!) - it's not far off the sort of carbonation I was expecting - after only 5 days! Is that abnormal or is it logical to assume that it will continue to carbonate and blow my house to smithereens?

b) I'm unsure about the chemistry of the fermentables, which included demerara sugar and golden syrup. Is it likely/possible that while the bulk of the fermentation had finished there was still some activity from these sugars that was so minimal it wasn't affecting my SG readings?

Possibly also relevant to mention is that I used Danstar Nottingham Ale yeast (1x11g), while it took about 7 days to reach FG the bulk of the activity happened in the first 4 days (I took SG readings too frequently[pinched] ) - is it likely that the carbonation drops have fermented in a similar timeframe? I was under the impression that this process takes a couple of weeks, but maybe not?

What do you think? Should I release the gas and recap to be safe or am I just worrying about nothing?

G'day Phil, if these are bottled in reusable glass and spent 14 days in primary they should be no worries.....as long as the temps didn't get too low during primary of course, thus allowing the yeast to stop working, then start up again after bottling, an unlikley scenario though. I am not familiar with yeast and such, I have only ever been a kit brewer.

Phil, relax mate, 14 days in the primary would be ample time to finish brewing. The 2 sugar pills are the right amount for glass longnecks. I would say that the pills would just about finished their work. So sit back have a drink and be confident.

Phil, do you like my new girls?

The man who has made many mistakes Weggl.

I agree with Ross and Weggl. Also, you said you took way to many SG readings - if the SG stayed put over the last 48 hrs (or 7 days as you seem to suggest!) your risk is minimal. Those PET bottles can get hard as rocks, but that's normally a good sign, doesn't mean the glass is in trouble.

Nottingham is known as bit of a gobble guts, can chew through a lot of fermentables quickly.

Dan

OK to bottle if expected FG was reached should be the Mantra..

It's dangerous to bottle at stable readings if the yeast has stalled for example..

recipe's are good for this very reason, you can deduce the expected FG and know when to be concerned. Not saying the OP didnt do this, just suggesting for other readers that 'knowing' what to expect can help when it doesnt go the way you planned.

Yob

• 1 month later...

If you use PET bottles it is not a problem if they become as rockhard. I have tried 3 Bar in my 1,5 ltr PET bottles and it was ok. When the bottle reaches over the pressure that tha carbonate pressure is settled at, the fermented carbonate gas goes back inte the liquid in order to carbonate the beer. I carbonate my beer stealing gas from a Soda Streamer and I need only 1,5 Bar at 9 degrees Celsuis for the beer to carbonate my beer under 2 days. See pictures at my facebookpage, only in swedish, http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tobbes-bryggeri/139685312821408?bookmark_t=page

Take care.

When the bottle reaches over the pressure that tha carbonate pressure is settled at' date=' the fermented carbonate gas goes back inte the liquid in order to carbonate the beer. [/quote']

Although that is almost correct it is not entirely right.

C02 will always escape liquid until it is equalised between the headspace and the liquid. Therefore, it is imperative to use a container that at least holds the required pressure to keep the C02 in solution. i.e. if you want to carb at 2.5 volumes then you need to have your liquid and the headspace at 2.5 volumes of C02. This will keep your beer carbed at the correct pressure. If the liquid or headspace differs then it will equalise at whatever the rate would be between the 2.

Hope that makes sense... [rightful]

Archived