Coopers Community

Yeast nutrient

Canadian Eh!L

Hey Gang,

I think it was Yob who first peeked my interest in this subject.

I believe he mentioned throwing a packet of Cooper's yeast in the boil as a nutrient for the yeast being used in the brew. Seeing as I have a good supply of the "Gold Packet" around these days I thought I should put them to use.

What is the reason behind this step? What is the method?

Why it works so well is that when they are packaged, they are packaged with all the food they need to get right into their budding / reproductive stage, even an oxygenator to which is why packet yeast does not require a O2 rich wort like repitching yeast does.. anyway..

throwing them into a flame out (off the boil) will kill the yeast but not destroy their food... so when you put in specialty yeast, the first thing they find is their most favorite food... (and corpses) [lol]

so then they eat that all up, have a big orgy and then get off to work on your wort...

bless em.. [rightful]

Why it works so well is that when they are packaged, they are packaged with all the food they need to get right into their budding / reproductive stage, even an oxygenator to which is why packet yeast does not require a O2 rich wort like repitching yeast does.. anyway..

throwing them into a flame out (off the boil) will kill the yeast but not destroy their food... so when you put in specialty yeast, the first thing they find is their most favorite food... (and corpses) [lol]

so then they eat that all up, have a big orgy and then get off to work on your wort...

bless em.. [rightful]

Ahh you have a way with words but yes you are correct [biggrin]

It helps reduce the Lag time as well, generally a great thing and in my experience the brews Ive done this to kick off much faster than similar brews where I forgot.

goes a long way to help ensure yeast vitality which in turn helps them be stronger, more efficient attenuators.

[w00t] me likey

Hey Yob,

Would you bother doing this addition when using another packet yeast such as Safale 04, 05 or say Nottingham?

in fact thats EXACTLY when you want to do it, you are adding extra food for the SPECIALTY yeast you do pitch

so, think of it as just another ingredient you add, along with 0 min addition hops... which should also be done... but that last bit is just my opinion not fact[roll]

Yob

Archived