Coopers Community

Roger's Clone Recipe advice request

LeCoq/Rooster

Hi all interested brewers. I am deciding on a recipe for a Roger's clone and have found two, but i'm looking for the simplest approach as i'm new to the game. All suggestions and advice welcome.

The two recipes follow:

Recipe 1

Morgans royal oak amber

Liquid light malt 1.5kg

Cascade finishing hops

Safale yeast

NOTE: this one didn't state the yeast number

Recipe 2

Coopers Australian Pale Ale 1.7kg

Thomas Coopers Amber Malt 1.5kg

Cascade Hop Pellets 10g + 20g

Chinook Hop Pellets 20g

BrewCellar American Ale Yeast 15g

Instructions

Bring the amber malt (about 1/2 of the can) to the boil in 2 litres of water and add 10g of Cascade for a 15min rolling boil. Then take off the heat and add the rest of the hops, cover and leave to steep for 1 hour.

Strain the contents into the fermenting tub (should be able to buy a straining bag from your local home brew shop), mix the rest of the ingredients and top up to 25litres. Pitch the yeast and try to ferment between 18C to 22C.

The first comes without a method of preparation and the second feels like it's got a few more steps than I'm capable of yet.

Thoughts?

Thanks

The yeast referred to in Recipe 1 would be US-05, an american ale yeast which is a fairly neutral yeast.

The first recipe would be made up in the same way as your standard 'kit & kilo' (ie. pour in and mix) with the hops added by way of either a hop tea (ie. steeped) or dry hopping.

The second recipe has a short boil for the hops. A 15 minute boil would extract a lot of flavour and a little bitterness.

Both recipes look pretty simple but if you want to have a go at the next level then recipe 2 is a good place to start.

Just a couple of comments about the method in Recipe 2:

- For a 2 litre boil you won't need to add half a can of extract. Around 250g would be sufficient (give or take a little).

- There is no need to steep the hops for an hour. 20-30 minutes will do the job.

Also, some pale crystal malt would go nicely too, say 200g.

I'm not a big drinker of mid-strengths but I really enjoy Rogers'.

Thanks Hairy. i'll give the 2nd recipe a go. i do want to keep alcohol as close to 4% as possible. though, i do wonder what it would be like with a 5% or more content.

i find roger's to be a great starter as the weather cools. great with a meal before a glass of red.

Archived