Coopers Community

Mexican Cerveza high FG reading

JaminL

Hi all

New to brewing and started with Cooper's Mexican Cerveza. Its been two weeks and for the past 5 days the FG reading has been 1014 and hasn't moved.

Used yeast that came in the can, brew enhancer 2, been 2 weeks at around 22-24 degrees. Didn't take the initial gravity levels when I started (rookie mistake).

Can I bottle or is it still to high? Help please? Going to bottle in glass.

Cheers [cool]

Welcome to the Forum

A couple of things to check:

Your Hydrometer in 20'C water (mine reads low but yours may read high).

Degassing of your sample, I have tested the SG of many slurries, acids and mixes and Beer is the hardest. Even out of the FV the bubbles will float the hydro giving a higher reading. Some tap and spin the hydro and I used to do that until Paul (PB2) suggested degassing. Since then I get an accurate reading straight up. Just pour your sample into a pair of cups and pour it back and forth between the cups about twenty times then back into the tube to test. Other than that I'm not sure, some other yeast gurus may be able to help. Using kit yeast I find most of my brews are done in 5 days, my current brew went down on Saturday afternoon and sat at 18'C for 2 days and then up to 21'C on Tuesday, the Krausen subsided Wednesday morning and I tested it this morning at 1.004. The three brews I made with BE1 all came down to 1.010.

JaminL, what was the volume of the beer?

With the BE2 I would expect it to get to around 1012-1013 so you are very close.

It appears pretty stable so I would bottle it but keep an eye on them. Open one after a week to check the pressure.

I don't think you will have too many dramas though.

Also, unlike the final gravity, the initial gravity reading isn't that important.

Thanks Eddie and Hairy for writing back.

Eddie I tried the degassing trick and the FG level went down to 1010 which is better.

Hairy, volume of beer is around 23 litres.

I'll try bottling it and see how it goes.

Thanks once again for the feedback

Archived