Coopers Community

Black Pils

AndreO1

G\u2019day fellow brewers!

My name is Andre and I hail from the cold north, more precisely Norway.

I\u2019m new to the wonderful art of brewing (but definitely not new to drinkin :p ), just bought myself a start kit from Coopers. I decided to make an Irish stout, and I\u2019ve added some extra malt for flavor. Right now the yeast is working overtime in the fermenter, soon I will start bottling my first batch of beer and I am excited to say the least.

I am now considering candidates for my next beer. Have anyone tried the Black Pils? http://www.coopers.com.au/the-brewers-guild/how-to-brew/lager/black-pils

I have some Coopers Dark Malt in the fridge, and I can\u2019t really find many beer kits where dark malt is recommended to use. The only worry I have, is that the recipe calls for lager yeast and temperatures at 13\xb0C - 15\xb0C during fermentation. Since I\u2019m a novice, I don\u2019t want to make things too complicated.

My main question is therefore, would the regular ale yeast (which comes with the lager kit), and \u201cnormal\u201d fermentation in room temperature ruin this beer? Alternatively, does anyone have another recipe where my Dark malt can come to use?

Cheers and beers!

Welcome to the fourm Andre. If you what a black pils and not a dark/black ale then best to go and get some lager yeast.

I'm guessing that it's good lager brewing weather where you live, so use the OS lager kit with the dark malt get some lager yeast and some nice Noble finishing hops and you'll have a nice black pils.

Happy Brewing[happy]

Hi Andre. I like you am in Europe also and am fermenting ales indoors at room temperature. I'm also wondering how can we could possibly brew lagers if it's below the optimum temps outside and way above lager temps inside. Any suggestions? Is this only possible with a fridge?

Archived