Coopers Community

Brewing in summer

MalcolmP3

If my temp is too high I usually just chuck a couple of icepakcs on the top of the FV and cover with a light blanket. Probably depends on the room temp what you will need to do. Whether it may need to be moved somewhere cooler. Another option could be rap in a damp blanket and place near a fan to blow cool air on it.

Put it in an ice bath and you want to get it to 20C asap.... don't brew at 25C [pinched]

Wrap wet towel around the FV and blow a fan on it.

Sit it in front of the air cond with a wet towel over it

Put it in a fridge or Freezer

There are some options, hopefully you can get it down as quick as you can. If you brew at 25C then you can expect some funky flavors.

once u figure out the temperatures, I'm finding an ice bath to be a great way to control temps, because the water temp doesn't change too quickly.

I found out the hard way that u really need to begin this say, on a weekend, when u can keep a close eye on it and figure out the right amount of ice for the area. I currently have the fermenter in my laundry sink. one 1.25l bottle of ice every 8 or so hours seems to keep it between 18-20 degrees, but that's also dependent on weather and the heat of your area. I'm also fortunate that I don't see my laundry's temp being that changeable.

of course, this is just a stop gap until I can get a fridge. I've learned already that if this is a hobby I want to persist with, a fridge is a must, because I would imagine that even temps changing that 2 degrees is far less ideal than maintaining a constant 18 degrees.

I am fortunate to work in a work place of around 100 workers and we drink a lot of bottled water and soft drinks and I have kindly ask my fellow workers to put aside the empty bottles for me so as I can fill them with water and freeze them. I have my fermenter wrapped over lid and around the sides in a small beach towel and bash the frozen bottles with a rubber mallet and cut them open and pour the ice into an old icecream container for storage and apply a couple of handfulls of ice to the top of the fermenter before and after work and manage to keep temp between 20 and 23 degrees[cool]

Archived