Coopers Community

What to do with the brew fridge freezer????

Silverthorn

My daughter is 3yo and she currently has 37 pairs of shoes!!...

I know the situation Bill, having three daughters myself. I am using the 5th bedroom, recently vacated when eldest daughter moved out, as my brew room. The built in robe holds all my bottled brews and my FV sits on a milk crate. I need a fridge but due to the other stuff in the room (Cross Trainer, Treadmill and a spare bed) it needs to fit in the robe. This is proving near impossible, so I have let SWMBO know that I intend to put a brew fridge into the Laundry. This is where the shoe bit comes in, I'll have to sort out a storage solution. Once I do this it should be good, I can't keep going the way I am:

I put the brew down in the kitchen, sample and pitch the yeast, then I transport the FV to the other end of the house and sit it on the crate. Then on bottling day I transport it back to the Kitchen as the crate is too low to the ground for bottling. At least with a fridge in the Laundry (next to the Kitchen) I'll only move the FV once and can finish topping it up and pitching the yeast in the fridge. And I won't be wearing out the carpet either. [cool]

lol that sounds similar to me.... I do K&K in the Kitchen upstairs then cart the FV downstairs to the fridge. I only figured on the last brew that I could do it all downstairs as I have a sink etc down there and won't need to carry it so far. DoH!! [pinched]

• 2 weeks later...
The thermostat I got is this one. I'll probably upgrade to a Heat/Cool thermostat once summer is over and I need a heat pad but I needed one in a hurry and this one was cheep and ready to go.@@_thermosat_1.jpg

Can someone please post a link for this type of controller, I can't seem to find it. I want to try this one first as I don't think I need a heating one here in Cairns. Thanks in advance.

The thermostat I got is this one. I'll probably upgrade to a Heat/Cool thermostat once summer is over and I need a heat pad but I needed one in a hurry and this one was cheep and ready to go.@@_thermosat_1.jpg

Can someone please post a link for this type of controller, I can't seem to find it. I want to try this one first as I don't think I need a heating one here in Cairns. Thanks in advance.

I bought mine off this bloke but i think hes stuffed up his listing price, ask him what he wants for the controller i paid 20something $$

Controller

AU $2,232.40! Wow!

Does that controller have any form of delay on it? I've been told that you can stuff up your fridges compressor if it cycles too quickly - my controller has a delay setting to make sure there is a gap between each 'on' cycle.

AU $2,232.40! Wow!

Does that controller have any form of delay on it? I've been told that you can stuff up your fridges compressor if it cycles too quickly - my controller has a delay setting to make sure there is a gap between each 'on' cycle.

My controller cycles when the temp is plus 1C on the FV. Once the FV is cooled to say 18C it takes ages for the temp to get back to 19C especially with 23litres of beer to chill, hence no problems with the fridge continuously recycling even when my shed is blistering hot like today.

My controller cycles when the temp is plus 1C on the FV. Once the FV is cooled to say 18C it takes ages for the temp to get back to 19C especially with 23litres of beer to chill, hence no problems with the fridge continuously recycling even when my shed is blistering hot like today.

Sounds like a good option then (well, at $20 odd rather than $2000 odd!)

The best way as I see it is buy a complete upright freezer set up and go to ebay jdbeerhog (713*) item number 160601588780 and buy thermo to convert freezer to fridge setup and also works well with chest freezers

Here is the link you quoted.

Personally for that sort of money it would be better to get a temp controller. You can then put it on any fridge or freezer you want with no mucking around fitting it to the appliance.

Even with this thermostat you will still need some heat source in most climate areas and it will only come down to 5C.

Also with a temp controller it is very easy to program what ever temperature you want and it will be within .1C of what you are after.

My money is on a temp controller and if you don't want to wire one up for about $50 (including the controller) then buy one from Keg King that is already wired up for $70.

My experimenting continues.. With some level of success.

With two digital thermometers and the temp controller I found that I could set the fridge thermostat to high and put my controller probe in the freezer. With that set at 3deg for my drinking beer it holds a perfect 22deg in the fridge.

Not perfect for all beers but providing I brew appropriate beers this will give me the one fridge setup I was looking for for now. Until winter comes at least.

Then I'm thinking a second controller in the fridge with a heat source should have me a handy no fuss setup. The freezer holds up to 6 of the 6ltr mini kegs I use so all in all so far just what I'm looking for. I'm not after the perfect beer for this setup but I do think the beer I am making is waaay better than the Carlton Mid I was drinking and so convenient to dispense and brew from the one stop beer station.

The FV sits above 3 Mini Kegs that are either ageing or conditioning depending on how I am going to carbonate. I'd like to put a slide out shelf in to replace the crappy wire rack that it currently sits on because it bows terribly under the weight and I'm scared of finding it has collapsed and taken out a brew and also I felt a twinge in my back the last time I lifted the full FV in but thats a whole new adventure.

Archived