Coopers Community

Sterilizing bottles?

AndrewT20

Hi all, and a happy new year to you.

I'm Andy, from Bristol, UK and very happily received a Coopers Lager brewing kit for Crimbo. Just wanted to pick your brains on the matter of sterilizing the bottles. As in the instructions, I only cleaned and rinsed all the kit with hot water due to it being new out of the box. So far everything seems to be going great. I've been on the brew for 8days now, and todays gravity test is much the same as yesterdays, so I think it's time for bottling. :-)

Which lead me to wonder, do I need to clean or rinse the bottles out before I start. They're obviously new as well, but if they should be cleaned or rinsed out, then I want to do it properly. And if so, has anybody any tips on how to clean them and how can I be sure that the bottles are properly dry, being dark?

I don't really know if any of this is necessary, so would appreciate some advice from those in the know.

Kind regards, Andy

Happy new year to you too [biggrin]

Just give them a rinse out with water for first use Andy.

Looking forward I'd recommend getting some iodophor or starsan. They are both no-rinse sanitisers so when mixed as per instructions you just need a splash inside a rinsed bottle to prepare them for filling. One of the most important steps of preparing your bottles is to rinse them as soon as possible after pouring the beer into a glass. This insures that they will be ready to go when your next batch is ready for bottling (they'll just need a splash of no-rinse solution a short while before filling.

Welcome Andrew

+1 to get some Starsan or Iodophor. The best chemical in your brewery they'd be [love] and very cheap too.

I recommend you leave your brew for another few days before bottling. You will end up with a better result.

has anybody any tips on how to clean them and how can I be sure that the bottles are properly dry, being dark?

I don't really know if any of this is necessary, so would appreciate some advice from those in the know.

Kind regards, Andy

Hay Andy and welcome..

as others have said iodophor or starsan being no rinse sanitisers are the goods... if using these you dont have to worry if they are bone dry, drained yes but not needed to be fully dry.

I find that the squirt tubs you can get from the HBS are a sesational way to deliver this treatment and dont know what I did without it... oh wait yes I do.. It was painful[lol]

Yob

Archived