Coopers Community

savitak

Request to all you experienced beer makers....I just bought my first starter kit. I have been reading up about brewing beer for couple of days now. But have'nt found anything on alcohol content. The malt that came with the kit is for light beer. Is there any way of increasing the alcohol content with existing malt extract. Will adding more yeast help?

Also do I need a airlock or existing collar is sufficient??

Request to all you experienced beer makers....I just bought my first starter kit. I have been reading up about brewing beer for couple of days now. But have'nt found anything on alcohol content. The malt that came with the kit is for light beer. Is there any way of increasing the alcohol content with existing malt extract. Will adding more yeast help?

Also do I need a airlock or existing collar is sufficient??

The BE1 that comes with the kit is sufficient for making a 4%+ brew.

Alot of people (myself included) Replace the BE's with Dry Malt Extract (1kg+) to give the brew more body, adding more fermentables will result in a higher alcahol Brew. Some people also add more simple sugars (dex) but this will thin the brew out and can make for some nasty off flavours if used in excess.

Adding more yeast will not help as they will only convert what is in there so only more fermentables will result in more Alcohol.

For your first few bres I reccomend just getting the procedures down pat, tweaking too much early on isnt a fantastic idea.

Beer is all about ballence between the malt and hop flavour, too much of one and not the other can lead to some pretty unballenced brews.

The DIY kit does not use an airlock as such.

Yob

Gday & welcome to home brewing. To increase alcohol content I add a extra 200grams dextrose. I use a airlock as my FV doesn't have the krausen collar as I have a old FV. But as for the airlock I don't trust it. I usually leave my brew in the FV for 2 weeks before bottling and the hydrometer is very handy. Hope that helps.

Gday & welcome to home brewing. To increase alcohol content I add a extra 200grams dextrose. I use a airlock as my FV doesn't have the krausen collar as I have a old FV. But as for the airlock I don't trust it. I usually leave my brew in the FV for 2 weeks before bottling and the hydrometer is very handy. Hope that helps.

I have 4 FV's all without airlocks (3 being the "old" style FV) just use gladwrap and the rubber seal from the lid just like a jam jar :) No need for the air lock. Airlock be gone!!

Archived