Coopers Community

How much alcohol?

brada7

[crying] Gidday, just put down my first brew in 8 years. I wanted a really heavy stout and brewed down to 13litres of water. I used a 1.7kg kit, 1kg of dark malt, 300g dextrose and 200g of maltodextrin. My cheap hydrometers readings stop at 1040 and this thing was bobbing around like a cork in the test tube. Any ideas what to expect alcohol content wise? 7-8 % i was thinking.

[crying] ... Any ideas what to expect ...

Hey Brad

Black and Bitter at around 8.3% before priming. OG 1.083.

Have a look at this link or try and get a copy of IanH's spreadsheet. There are lots of good resources on the Net, you can even go here and find out how many calories and carbs are in your stout (& beer).

I get 8.1% from that. I'd rather add water to 20L, add another tin of stout, and instead of the sugars add another 1kg of dark malt extract. That will turn into an export stout and as I like my export stouts to be on the roasted side, some black patent would also help.

[happy] Thanks Eddie. Youre wording Black and Bitter? Really bitter do you think. I thought I would have got more bitterness using two cans. By using the dark malt and the sugars I thought I might have nullified a bit of it, or has the dark malt got the same bitterness as the kit?

[happy] Youre wording Black and Bitter? Really bitter do you think.

Hey Brad

This is where you'll find the spreadsheet handy, it has beer styles and ranges of all the key charactoristics. Your bitterness is on the high side for an Australian Stout but still in range for that style, ABV% is a bit high for this style. As for colour it is off the scale for all stout styles, apart from the dark colour you almost have a Russian Imperial stout on your hands.

[biggrin].... who is IanH?...

I have no idea, but I am guessing that he is a propeller head with a passion for home brewing. Here is the link to his sheet look for BillK's post, it is very well put together and quite robust as far as excel macros go.

Ianh is a home brewer from NW Tassie. His spreadsheet works wonders and a hell of a lot of people use it.

His spreadsheet works wonders and a hell of a lot of people use it.

Hey Bill

I wasn't trying to detract from this valuable resource or demean IanH. I recommend the spreadsheet at every opportunity. In these parts "Propeller Head" is a term of endearment, normally reserved for those genius individuals who are operating at a level above the rest of us.

You're only half right there Muddy, Scott is from Tassie too. I think he is our long lost cousin from beyond the black stump.

Ise goes gets me Banjo now and plays yous a funky tune. Here I is in a film thingy already

Archived