Coopers Community

Carbonating my kegs

TrentW

Hi

Been kegging for a while now just having problems getting perfect carbonation. When i first started i used to turn the pressure upto 35psi for 2 days but i found it was just pouring to much foam. So decided to try a different method, Ive been trying just leaving it set on pouring presure 80-90kpa for a week but dont seem to be getting the carbonation i would like, When i pour the glass it has a decent head on it about 15-20mm but it dies off real quick & buy the time i get down half a glass its got no head at all & seems a little flat.

Any thoughts would be great

Thanks[biggrin]

Gassing a cold keg with 300kPa for 24hrs should be suffiicient.

Some other things to check:

the kegs are chilled to at least 4C,

the beer line is at least 3m long for 5mm ID (2m for 4mm ID)

the beer line through to outlet is not too warm

Thanks

Ive got 2 1/2 meters of 4mm beer line. dont know if thats a problem, 300 kpa for 24hours still seemed to give me to much foam, just hoping leaving it at seving presure would fix my problems but it doesnt seem to carbonate very well i might have to leave it longer than a week.

At pour pressure for a week isn't quite long enough. However, it should still be carbed so as it is drinkable.

I usually have mine at 300 KPA for 24 hours then bring it down to 80-90 KPA and it is fine after a few days.

35PSI for 48 hours will over carbonate your kegs. You will get foam because the gas is escaping the fluid and the head will die pretty quick due to nothing much to sustain it.

If you are leaving your kegs at pouring pressure and it's been a week, just leave it another few more days and see what results you have.

Short answer is yes.

Trent you should try this for your next keg....

Leave at 30PSI for 24 hours then reduce it back to pour pressure. You'll probably find that it should take just under a week like that.

There are so many ways to carb a keg, just need to find one that suits your needs. Once you get the general feel you can play around and find something suited for different situations.... i.e. I have needed a keg ready to pour in a matter of a couple of hours and other times the next day etc. You'll get the general feel eventually [cool]

Archived