Coopers Community

original series stout question

mattw16

hi guys, been reading this place a lot, great forum , love coopers kits

now then,

i knocked up a coopers original series stout with highland spring bottled water to a total volume of 20L with 500g extra dark DME (80% ish fermentable?), and 400g youngs brewing sugar which i think is 100% dextrose

pitched kit yeast at 21c then placed in a constant 18/19c room after 24hours

OG was 1038/1040 couldnt be too sure so say 1039, i brewed it 11/12/11 and it's now 29/12/11 and still occasionally bubbling, enough to suggest fermentation is still ongoing , the current SG looks like 1007

using this temp or lower with coopers ale yeast on os draught and os dark ale fermentation has finished sooner, the difference here is that to allow headroom for the monster foam i knew was coming i brewed short as stated

i'm wondering if the concentration is higher causing the ferment to last longer, or if my reduction in added fermentables would negate that effect,also is the stout can ingredients just more hard munching work for the yeasties to perform?

just wondering if the longer ferment is in line with theory given the details above or if maybe it's just a reasonable variation, perhaps it's at FG now and 18 days isn't too surprising?

Don't rely on the "bubbler" to tell if fermentation as finished. Take a gravity reading over a couple of days and if it is the same then it has finished.

There are too many factors to tell when a brew will finish. However, you can estimate it but only a stable gravity reading over a couple of days will reveal the answer.

I am yet to do a stout but someone here will be able to answer the rest of your questions.

Welcome to the forum.....

The sugar profile of the Stout beer kit is essentially the same as the other 4 beer kits in the Original Series. As such, the time taken to ferment and the FG should be the same. [wink]

+1 Bill - never trust the airlock...

thanks guys

i would never let the airlock tell me fermentation is over, but while it's still bubbling i know fermentation is probably ongoing, i can purge the excess co2 with a gentle push on the lid, if bubbling starts up again later then more co2 is clearly being produced

i am of course taking gravity readings as stated

im just wondering if the make up has determined a longer brewtime given all other things being equal with the previous kits bearing in mind the changes i made

no bubbling means nothing of course but co2 production evidenced by the well fitted airlock must mean ongoing fermentation

just wondered if anyone could spot anything that explained longer brewtime

a taste of the sample told me that its nearly done and it will be a lovely lovely drink, my awful plastic trial jar and the colour of the brew make readings tricky but ill bet in a day or 2 i'll take a same-ish reading and bottle up

i have a nice stock of coopers kit beer building up now and this stout is going to be a real treat

An extended ferment can happen when the yeast is not in the best condition, in the first instance - what is the BB date on the base of the can?

how often does the airlock gurgle??

CO2 may be coming out of solution but the yeast has finished fermenting the brew. A change in ambient temp and/or pressure may cause the airlock to gurgle. Other organisms may also be creating gas. [ninja]

ignore it [whistling

that's interesting, well the bb date is sometime in 2013 so no worries there

it's a gurgle every couple of hours now, and that's after resetting it by lifting lid for taking a sample, or gently pushing down to purge and reduce pressure

i'm sure i'm close to FG and not worried at all, i just wondered if the changes i mentioned would themselves cause longer ferment time , a technical point of interest more than anything

your point about other organisms is interesting but im confident from smell,taste and that it's not been opened more than strictly necesary reasons that it isn't overun with nasties although of course they will be there albeit in small quantity

i think i asked an odd question about the specifics of this one brew given my minor adjustments

but your answer that co2 maybe coming out of solution even though yeast has finished fermenting the brew, has solved the issue for me, it wasnt about my brew make up and concentration of fermentables after all!

good info ,thanks again [happy]

Archived