Coopers Community

DME ruinning my fun?

Jealousy

Hey, I've been lurking for quite a while (first actual post lol hey all!) after tasting my mates brew of the extract full nelson (Here) and have since put on several brews using that as a base guide judging by how my mates turned out.

the thing is all the ones which I have done using DME as the main sugar (practically the same recipe just different hopping schedules and occasionally caramalt instead of crystal steeping) have all turned out extremely sweet and cloudy as if they haven't fermented properly which wasn't the problem..

What got me thinking it was the DME was that in between a couple of those brews I put on one using liquid amber malt and it is perfectly fine and have also done plenty of concentrate brews with grain and hops additions prior with no drama..

Just pulling my hair out as my mates turned out fine but the exact same recipe doesn't seem to be happening on my end..

Any ideas would be much appreciated.. also I don't think our water would be all that different.

Cheers for any help..

Tom.

Thanks for the quick replies guys, All three recipes that went a little pear-shaped were this method with slightly different hopping.

Full Nelson Ale

2.5kg LDM

250g Dextrose

100g Crystal Malt

30g Centennial @ 30

20g Nelson Sauvin @ 0

25g Nelson Sauvin @ 3 days

Yeast US-05

21L

OG 1045

FG 1007

Bring 500g of LDM in 4L of water to the boil.

Add 30gm Centennial for 30min

While boiling steep 100gm Crystal Malt in 300ml 70C water for 2min

@FO add 20gm of Nelson, 250 Dextrose and 2kg of LDM

Fill to 21L add yeast and ferment @ 20C

@ the third day of fermentation add 25gm Nelson

This one was perfectly fine, though I might dry hop 30g instead because it mellowed out a little too much ;)

2x 1.5kg Coopers Amber Malt

100g Cara Malt

30g Centennial @ 60

20g Amarillo @ 0

25g Amarillo @ 3 days

Yeast US-05

21L

OG 1042

FG 1007

Bring 4L of Water and 1 tin of malt to the boil.

Add 30gm Centennial for 60min

While boiling steep 100gm Cara Malt in 300ml 70C water for 15min

@FO add 20gm of Amarillo

Pour Cara Malt liquid and remaining tin of Amber Malt into fermenter

Fill to 21L add yeast and ferment @ 20C

@ the third day of fermentation add 25gm Amarillo

Both recipes were before I had a temp controller and fermented @23/24\xba and yeast was pitched at 29\xba (a little high but still had a kraussen the following couple days..)

Tom.

My bet is the yeast hasnt settled yet, as bill suggests, a bit more info on the process, temps, etc will help to diagnose the issue.

Amd welcome too..

Yob

Hey Bill & Yob, how long before the yeast should settle for this method? I usually leave them a week in the fermenter and haven't had a problem with clarity but I have got a 30L demijohn I could use as a secondary..? also if you need more info just let me know what any ideas would be appreciated.

This is probably about my 17th brew but also the lightest style I have tried (excluding ciders and ginger beers), my water also has quite a high PH something like 7.6 from memory..

Cheers, Tom.

Just a bit of a short cut tip here. Bring the 4l of water to 65C-70C and add the grains for the time specified then remove the grain bag then bring that to the boil and continue as normal. One less step to do![happy] Its good for sterilization of ingredients.

I would up the time for the Centennial hop addition to get some more bitterness into it and if you want to keep a Centennial flavor/Aroma I would include another hop addition at about 10-15 minutes.

Caramalt is a crystal and I would be steeping at 65C-70C for about 30 minutes.

I would up the time for the Centennial hop addition to get some more bitterness into it and if you want to keep a Centennial flavor/Aroma I would include another hop addition at about 10-15 minutes.

Caramalt is a crystal and I would be steeping at 65C-70C for about 30 minutes.

yeah, since making those ones my LHBS bloke said to try steeping @ 15mins or more.. also the grain wasn't cracked.. so I'm assuming that was the cause.. didn't think that so small an amount of uncracked grain could add so much sweetness? could understand it being cloudy as perhaps there were just alot of starches which didn't have time to break down.

I want to try the amber recipe again with a bit more of a play around I did find the bitterness wasn't quite up to what I prefer but it did seem to balance the amount of flavour it did have though that needs a kick up as well lol so will definitely give that extra addition a go [happy]

Archived