Coopers Community

making Coopers Irish Stout

CliffH1

Hello all. I've been lurking a few months and enjoying all the great information available here. I've made a half dozen Coopers kits, all by the enclosed recipe and all have been great.

Now, I want to try an Irish Stout. I have a can Coopers Dark malt extract. So I want to try this:

1 can Coopers Irish Stout

1 can Coopers Dark Malt Extract

500 grams dextrose

yeast from the stout can

make to 20 liters

Does this sound okay? Should I add the dextrose or leave it out? Does the 20 liters sound about correct?

I'm hesitant to not follow the can recipe, but I feel a need to make a little stronger stout.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hi Cliff,

Welcome to the forum. [biggrin]

The stout you are thinking of sounds like a good one to me!

Check this out

I think you are headed down the right path. Don't be too hesitant experiment. After this beer you won't ever look back to the kit instructions again. [cool]

Make sure you brew it @ 20C(68F) or less and try to age it for as long as you can![wink]

WOW, I've created a monster. I pitched the yeast yesterday just after noon. By 2pm, it was bubbling away. By midnight it is almost roaring. My 13mm blow off tube is full of foam and every 10 minutes or so, it blows the foam out of the hose with a huge burp. Glad I didn't just put the regular bubbler on the carboy and leave it.

Looks like the packet of yeast that came with the kit was plenty for such a big brew. 1.050 sg and 23 C starting temp. I'm cooling down to 20 C.

Looks like you have to take a stout seriously when brewing one. It isn't like the other brews I have made so far.

Looking forward to tasting this one!

Hey Cliff - I have an Irish stout in the fermenter at the moment (my first stout). The owner of my local home brew shop suggested to add just the can and the malt. He also suggested filling to 18L rather than 23L to increase alcohol content. Like yours mine frothed up a treat! I expect it to reach final gravity in next day or so. Early tastings suggest this is going be good!

Well, my brew is calming down just a little bit.

It has been 44 hours since I pitched the yeast. To slow the frothing down just a little bit, I cooled the carboy down to 19C. I've read that this should be fermented at around 21C, so I'm hoping this small difference doesn't matter. I'll be putting it back to 21C when the foaming settles a bit.

The amount of foam coming off this brew has been amazing! I did just make the batch to 19 liters in a 23 liter carboy.

I'll be much more prepared for the next stout with a larger blow off hose....and drop the volume down a bit during the first couple days to give the foam some more room.

re: fermenting vessel size - the general rule of thumb is to use a vessel that has at least 1/3 head space and 2/3 brew. So a vessel for holding a 23 litre brew should be at least 33.5 litre total volume.

There's plenty of flavour compounds being lost when the foam is blown off rather than collapsing back into the brew. [wink]

Thanks for that information. I was afraid I was loosing some of the good stuff. Now I just need to find a fermenting vessel that large for my next batch.

Here is a question. I have several 23 liter carboys and a few 3 gallon (guess that would be 11.5 liters?). Would it be practical to split the batch into two 23 liter carboys for fermenting? ...or I could just buy a 38 liter fermenting bucket.

Archived