Coopers Community

lawnmower lager

brucem3

Hi Bruce,

This beer will have a OG of 1.039, FG 1.012 for a ABV4.1%+.5(for priming) with a total of 4.6.

Check this calculator. for your next brew.

If I were you I'd substitute the OS Lager can with A can of OS Draught. I have a real hard time making the OS lager drinkable. I might also say to replace BE1 with 1Kg of LDM.

I seem to have recomended a completely different recipe.[innocent] [smile]

Just put the brew on 15 mins ago. OG was 1.036.

Your final of 4.6% just blew me out of the water as was really looking to be able to sink 3 or 4 and still drive.Certainly wont be the case with this one.

have you a recipe good low alchol beer. ie less than 3%.?

Less than 3%[surprised

A good recipe for a low Alc.% is the TC IPA kit made up to 23L with 500g LDM. If you are up to it try 250g light crystal malt(steeped for 30mins). This will add some body, head retention and a little colour (red) to your brew.

You really have to avoid the BE's if you are trying to make a low Alc.% beer. BE1 is a blend of 60% Dextrose,40% maltodextrin. Dex is 100% fermentable so will only add to the Alc% without adding to the body of the brew. Malto-dex is a cheap way to add some body to the beer. I would go with the 500g malt instead of any BE's.

Just put the brew on 15 mins ago. OG was 1.036.

Your final of 4.6% just blew me out of the water as was really looking to be able to sink 3 or 4 and still drive.Certainly wont be the case with this one.

Hey Bruce

I reckon Chad calculated your brew for 23 litres. At 25 litres it should come out in the bottle at around 3.6%. I made the full strength lager 1st up, and despite the negative press it wasn't that bad. Admittedly my other brews seem better, but the lawn mower can be drank after a month in the bottle and enjoyed by both women and men in their 20s.

This beer will have a OG of 1.039' date=' FG 1.012 for a ABV4.1%+.5(for priming) with a total of 4.6.[/quote']

The calculator which you use takes additional alcohol produced during secondary fermentation into consideration in calculating the final alcohol percentage. This means that the resulting alcohol content of the original posters beer would actually be around 4%.

Eddie, just noticed that you say Enjoyed by 20 year olds. I 67 and hope i have not lost the taste,

chow cobber.

Hey Bruce

I am not 27 either, or 67 about halfway between. What I meant was that the younger ones prefer sweeter beer, you know with a twist of lime or lemon. But my son, his wife and my duaghter's partner all said the lager was really good. It only just ticked over three months in the bottle and I have only got 6 long necks left. Compared to the Pale Ale and the Canadian Blonde my Lager is a bit sweet.

Cheers

Given that when you naturally prime bottles you will get 0.5% alcohol, I reckon it would be tough to brew a nice beer under 3% ABV.

I find that lighter style beers like lagers taste watery at that alcohol level.

You are really going to have to use the kit and no other fermentables to achieve it.

If you push up the abv to around or just under 4% you can make some tasty beers.

Archived