Coopers Community

Mexican Ceveza

TonyW

Am doing a mexican style next to keep the sister inlaw happy.

I was going to use the Coopers Mex and add lime zest but a mate just landed me with a free can of (insert brand name here)Cortes Cerveza with the lime already added.

I have gone out and got myself 1kg of Pureharvest Rice Malt that i am going to brew with and i may weight up and add the last of my Dex maybe 150g - 200g worth and add nothing else.

My thoughts i am against hopping it because the Mex style is as bland as cats piss and 2 i dont want to add LDME as i have never tasted the malt in a mex [pouty]

Any suggestions except the fact i am wasting 2 weeks brewing to make my sister inlaw happy over xmas are welcome [biggrin]

Hi Tony

I too have made beer for women, and beer for myself that women like, the only danger is that if they like one of your beers they start to get a taste for home brew and you'll be sharing [pinched]

My Cervesa which came out a bit fruity was:

Coopers Cervesa kit

1kg Light Dry malt

500g organic honey (not eucalypt)

30g Galaxy finishing hops

kit yeast

made to 20 litres (I'm a flavour merchant so 23litres would lower alc% and flavour - or leave it high 7.5% and it'll only be 1 bottle a day for her[biggrin]

I also made Bright Ale and a Golden Ale which have been well recieved. there is a Mexican cervesa (beer) which is a dark Vienna style which is light and fruity but dark in colour which is nice too.

Michael

Sounds like a good recipe.

I like the addition of honey in my Abbey Ales

and i try and use clover or Manuka.

Your kilo of LDM would have thickened it up some as well.

Not a fan of Mexican beer but i will have to drink a couple of these i guess so i hope its nice.

We taste the test tube at gravity testing and have a pre taste at bottling and you can taste it changing, the honey is faint but the beer nice and should only get better, yes it thickend up a bit I don't really like the absence of taste body in corona.

I have recently come back from Mexico, Mexicans don't drink corona the most popular was a Negra Modelo very nice, I made a darker Negra Leon still fruity and light summer type beer.

We taste the test tube at gravity testing and have a pre taste at bottling and you can taste it changing, the honey is faint but the beer nice and should only get better, yes it thickend up a bit I don't really like the absence of taste body in corona.

I have recently come back from Mexico, Mexicans don't drink corona the most popular was a Negra Modelo very nice, I made a darker Negra Leon still fruity and light summer type beer.

Yeah the Negra Modelo is a Vienna style Lager and i have tried it, i guess if i had to drink Mexican beer that would be it, has a bit of taste. My sis inlaw likes the cats piss, she mainly drinks SOL or Corona with a chunk of lime wedged in the neck,then my missus had to open her yap and say i will brew her some. [pinched]

Bottled my St Peters Ruby Red yesterday then crashed my fridge temp controller to the Lager temp of 12C overnight, seeing this kit has a Lager yeast with it, i am doing the Mex today as per the recipe above, just need to weight the Dex.

Just as i am about to finish the brew my sister inlaw rings and asks can i make it a lighter beer [roll] heaven help me [crying]

So i made the 23litre batch up to 25 litres for a OG of 1.040. She says it will be a good one for a hot afternoon when the idea is to enjoy a cold one or 2 and not get off your face [devil]

Recipe as i have done it

1 can of Mexican goop: this one is not Coopers and had lime already added to it. If i do another i will use the Coopers and add lime Zest

1kg Rice Malt

200g Dex

100g honey left over from my trappist brew

made up to 25litres [crying]

Yeast with the kit is a Lager yeast pitched at 24C

Brew is now in the Fridge and set to 12C

Decided i would Dry Hop with

10g Golding

20g Fuggles

I had these in the freezer so may as well use them

Now what will i make next?

Decided i will do a Pale Ale

Was going to do an IPA next then remembered how nice the Pale Ale was at Mornington Brewery so will brew that next now that i know the hop additions, speak to brewers and they often tell you things [biggrin]

I have just discovered i have 10g of Golding and 20g of Fuggles, i think i might add them to this Mexican and see if i cant make it taste like something [roll]

This brew is real slow as i expected, 1.040 to 1.030 in a week but i need to hurry it up, so today i gave it a kick in the guts with some diammonium phosphate yeast nutrient, 1tsp mixed in a little warm water and stir it into the FV.

This brew actually tastes very nice in the sample tube, i may have stumbled onto something. [pinched]

• 2 weeks later...

A week after adding the diammonium phosphate the brew dropped to 1.018, 3 days later we are sitting on 1.012. Looks like its just about ready and will just maybe make the xmas rush. Tastes quite good even now.

After a week i bottled 500ml then tried it a week later, thought i would get a bottle bomb because of the high gravity reading, so only half primed it and just as well, it was loaded.

Nice drop will leave it to clear up.

mexup.jpg

Archived