Coopers Community

Pouring Issue from Keg Taps - Delayed onset of excess foam??

Ollie

Hi Guys,

Looking for some advice from any guys out there who keg and or have knowledge and experience with this.

I have an issue and for the life of me I cannot fix it and I would it is beginning to proove very strange.

1st: Here is the issue: After draining approximately 10ish schooners (when I say draining I mean consuming [biggrin]) my beers start pouring with excess froth/foam into the glass. It almost appears like it is coming out of the tap too fast?? It is to the point that in a schooner I get half head half beer. NOTE: The first few schoners are perfect and I do not get this problem.

The beer is not overcarbonated at all. Once the head dies away the beer is as normal.

Here are some things I checked and did to try and eliminate this.

- Checked the lines for any kinks. None.

- Checked the pressure. 14PSI. Perfect

- Pulled apart and cleaned the taps. Dirty but did not resolve it.

- I have two taps on the fridge. It has started happening to both. (Note: this is a new issue, did not happen about 4 kegs ago?)

- Tried switching kegs. It has happened on 2 different kegs.

The above are all the problem fixes I could think that it might be and none have worked.

Has anyone ever had this issue?? I am totally perplexed as to what it could be?

Any input or info would be great, this is killing me with frustration, particularly knowing I am wasting so much beer every pour!

Cheers guys,

Ollie

At a quick glance I would say that 14 PSI maybe your issue. 14 PSI is about 100 KPA.... I have my beers pouring at 65-80kpa which is just under about 10 PSI.

Something has changed since the kegs you claim to have poured fine. There is no reason that if nothing is different this would happen. Therefore, you need to work out what is different.

At a quick glance I would say that 14 PSI maybe your issue. 14 PSI is about 100 KPA.... I have my beers pouring at 65-80kpa which is just under about 10 PSI.

Hey Bill,

I will give this a go for sure! Although I have always ahd it at this pressure who knows! I am ready to try anything right now!

Especially as my elimination process has resolved nothing! [crying]

Thanks mate

The way I see it, the beer is carbed at under pouring pressure (eg. say 4ish PSI) and the addition of pouring at 14PSI will have them pouring ok. However, if the keg sits at that for a longer period then the beer will eventually carb to that and thus will pour slightly over carbed.

I am also guessing that the previous kegs may not have lasted as long as the current ones which would back up my above theory.

How do you carbonate your kegs?

First I chill the keg for a day or two.

I connect my Gas line to my beer post... Set the gas bottle to pouring pressure, 14PSI, then rock the keg back and forth gently about 50ish times.

Then I leave it for a week just burping the pressure valve once or twice a day.

Does this sound about right to you?

i am also guessing that the previous kegs may not have lasted as long as the current ones which would back up my above

Bill,

You are actually right in saying this, I was just thinking to myself that they have been emptying faster... But how come a pouring pressure of 14psi would do this?

I also was just wondering what would happen if I extended my beer lines? Currently they are 4m.

Any thoughts?

i am also guessing that the previous kegs may not have lasted as long as the current ones which would back up my above

Bill,

You are actually right in saying this, I was just thinking to myself that they have been emptying faster... But how come a pouring pressure of 14psi would do this?

I also was just wondering what would happen if I extended my beer lines? Currently they are 4m.

Any thoughts?

lol the pouring pressure wouldn't be doing it... I was referring that you would have drank them faster for whatever reason. Therefore not giving them enough time to carb up to 14 PSI.

4m beer lines sound ok and most likely won't need to be extended but this also depends on a few other factors like the ID of the lines and the temperature of the beer and distance your taps are from the keg.

First I chill the keg for a day or two.

I connect my Gas line to my beer post... Set the gas bottle to pouring pressure, 14PSI, then rock the keg back and forth gently about 50ish times.

Then I leave it for a week just burping the pressure valve once or twice a day.

Does this sound about right to you?

If this is your procedure it appears it takes you about 9 days to carb a keg. Therefore, try this instead and it will take you less time.

Keg beer and purge O2 (put disconnects on the right posts), place keg in fridge and carb at 25 PSI for about 36ish hours then turn down to pouring pressure (about 8-10 PSI) and you should be right to go in about another 5 or 6 days. No need to burp the keg anymore and you can't overcarb it this way either.

You may need to fine tune this procedure to suit yourself once you have an idea of times etc.

I've had kegs for 12 years now and Ollie I have to say that is the most bizarres way of carbonating kegs I've ever herd.Rocking them 50 odd time "whats with that?". I have had the problem that you are describing and all I can put it down to is some form of secondary fermentation has happened. This has made my kegs over carbonated. This occasionally happens in the summer time when I've brewed at a lower temperature and then stored the keg at ambient temperature for a week or so as it waits for its turn for the fridge and it's gas fix. My method for gassing kegs is quite simple by first cooling the keg for 1 day then I start to gas the keg by turning the gas up to 45psi the removing the gas line.I remove it because i have come home to an empty gas bottle when it was full in the morning while it was priming with the gas on the "in" valve. Any way I do the same thing of giving the keg 45psi once in the morning and once in the evening for 3 days and its ready to go.(depending on the brew). A gas bottle can last me up to 18 months while I do on average of 2-3 keg per month. Good value I think.[biggrin]

Jason, another way to "force carb" is to chill the keg and set the gas high (maybe 35-40 PSI) and connect the gas line to the liquid post and then shake the keg for about a minute. Or rock it for around 100 times. Burp the keg and connect everything up as it should then set the reg to pour pressure wait about 15 minutes and away you go.

Unless I need the beer in a day or so I'' just set the reg to pour pressure and leave it. It should be carbed up in about a week. No chance of over carbing then [cool]

I just put a chilled keg in only now and need it for tomorrow. All I did was set the reg to 250kpa and rock it for about a minute. Then I set to pour pressure and keep rocking it until the regulator needle read 80kpa then gave it another blast at 250kpa and again rocked the keg until it read about 80kpa. I left the keg at that now and it should be almost right for tomorrow night.

There are heaps of ways to carb a keg [joyful]

[quote=BillKIf this is your procedure it appears it takes you about 9 days to carb a keg. Therefore, try this instead and it will take you less time.

Keg beer and purge O2 (put disconnects on the right posts), place keg in fridge and carb at 25 PSI for about 36ish hours then turn down to pouring pressure (about 8-10 PSI) and you should be right to go in about another 5 or 6 days. No need to burp the keg anymore and you can't overcarb it this way either.

You may need to fine tune this procedure to suit yourself once you have an idea of times etc.

Bill,

Thanks for the tip - I will definitely try this method next time. Always great to learn a "different way to skin th cat"[bandit]

FYI - in one of your abopve posts you said I was setting my pouring pressure to high and to drop it to 8-10PSI.

I did this Friday evening and by yesterday being Sunday it was pouring much better! Thanks for the tip mate, looks like you just fixed my problem [biggrin]

I've had kegs for 12 years now and Ollie I have to say that is the most bizarres way of carbonating kegs I've ever herd.

Hi Jason,

Glad I made you laugh - but this was just the way I was taught to do it and apart from my last few kegs stuffing up it worked in the past. Although I will be giving this method a miss now and trying the way you and Bill describe it... Thanks for the info!

Archived