Coopers Community

Sanitisers

BakersAle

Hey girls and guys there been huge discussion about what best sanitisers out there some of us use coles home brand nappy sand others use star san. I been doing some research on the milton anti bacterial solution for baby and home. Have found out you can also use it on all home brew products it a no rinse solution, comes in 1 litre bottle and is found at coles and woolworths baby section i thought if some people are confused want something easy to use then i recommend milton

Last time I looked at it, the active ingredient in Milton Antibacterial Solution is Sodium Hypochlorite - "same same", just at a lower concentration, as in household bleach. Some bleach brands, such as White King, also contain sodium hydroxide (gives a sudsing effect).

As with bleach, make sure to rinse any chlorine smell away prior to adding beer ingredients to the FV. [biggrin]

I've also been battling to find a good no rinse sanitiser here as I've posted a few times. I bought the Milton solution for bottling my last batch (last night). Its not very cheap and I soak all my bottles in a 40L ceramic sink which just barely fits 26 quart bottles. With that volume however I needed the full 500ml bottle and left to soak for 30 mins (with the last few drops used for the bottler and bottle caps).

I was excited about the 'No rinse' factor here but as PB says it did have a pretty strong chlorine smell and while I was waiting for the 30 mins my hands smelt as though they were covered in bleach even after rinsing a few times. So I rinsed all my bottles with cool water after the soak just in case. I thought I would take my chances with a rinse instead of chlorine smelling beer.

Not sure if I was greatly inmpressed but it did take out two rinses from when I was using bleach.

I have seen that I can get a solution called Perisan from an online retailer here. Has anyone used/heard of this. Its also sold as a No-rinse steriliser but is even more expensive than Milton.

Thanks,

Hi new to the forum

I just bought a bottle of IODOPHOR.Just want to hear peoples experience with this stuff. The guy at the brew shop said its no rinse and don't really need to let it dry, but on the bottle it says air dry.

Thanks

I don't understamd the confusion about sanitisers - a bit of searching on any brewing forums and you will come up with 2 clear choices, iodohpor and star san. They are both great and easy to use - and a bottle will last for ages.

Trent - I personally use iodophor most of the time and it is cheap and very easy to use. If mixed as per directions it is no rinse and, no you don't have to let it dry. You only need to mix up a bit (I generally mix up 1 to 2L - If you are really tight you could get away with less). I put a splash in my fermentor and wet the insides of my bottles using a bottle rinser. I also have a little spray bottle of it which I spray on everything tht comes in contact with my brew.

The bottle I have says 20 mins but from my research 2 mins is enough. Basically I leave it for 2 mins or more depending on what I am doing. For example, I rinse my bottles and leave them to drain while I get everything else ready so it usually about 30 mins before I use them - but if I run out of bottles and still need more I just rinse a couple more and give them a couple of mins before filling them.

Archived