Coopers Community

Sanitation (Kit and Bottles)

AB

You may be going further with your cleaning/sanitation methods than neccessary in the pursuit of quality beer. You are cetainly doing more than most! Me included. [ninja]

This is not such a bad thing if it's giving you peace of mind. I reckon the ultimate waste of time and money is having to throw out infected beer. [pinched]

G\u2019day All,

I haven\u2019t had a lot to say on this site, although I have found it to be useful now and then. I\u2019ve been producing very drinkable home brew for the past 20 odd years, for the first couple my FV was a plastic rubbish bin. I only wash my FV\u2019s with dishwashing detergent after use, and then rinse with hot tap water just before I pour in the next brew. My glass bottles are rinsed after use and again washed in a weak dish detergent and then rinsed with hot tap water. This method has never failed me.

While I'm chilling my hot brew kettle in the sink with ice water,I dump a gallon of star-san solution in my micro brew FV,& swish it around till all surfaces have been contacted several times.

Then finish chilling the wort. Swish the star-san around 1 more time,then drain back into it's jug through the spigot to sanitize it too. Then proceed as normal. Never one infection. I love that star-san is no rinse. Also that it breaks down into yeast nutrient.

By the way,I have to say that the lid on my micro brew fermenter is one tough customer! Never blew off once! Even though the Brewer's Best ale pale's lid blew off 3/4's of the way round. Even though it had a blow off rigged to it! That is one tough FV design guys. I love it!

I dump a gallon of star-san solution in my micro brew FV' date='& swish it around till all surfaces have been contacted several times.[/quote']

I find it easier just to spray starsan with a spray bottle. No need to make a large quantity then just dump the little bit that's there when you are ready to brew.

I keep a spray bottle of starsan at hand all the time and just spray everything when I need it. It only needs 30 second contact time but I usually give it a minute [happy]

Archived