Coopers Community

Collecting Bottles

I notice that most people either Keg or use PET bottles. For me part of the attraction is collecting and capping glass bottles, and I enjoy it. At the moment I am building up a collection of Cooper's long necks with the crown seal. The rest of my collection of stubbies and long necks are twist tops. Does anyone now of any commercial beers that are still bottled with crown seals? There are some boutique Breweries down here, such as Two Metre Tall, but at close to $30 a six pack it could be an expensive exercise (I am also hoping that my home brews will be as good as TMT).

I notice that most people either Keg or use PET bottles. For me part of the attraction is collecting and capping glass bottles' date=' and I enjoy it. At the moment I am building up a collection of Cooper's long necks with the crown seal. The rest of my collection of stubbies and long necks are twist tops. Does anyone now of any commercial beers that are still bottled with crown seals? There are some boutique Breweries down here, such as Two Metre Tall, but at close to $30 a six pack it could be an expensive exercise (I am also hoping that my home brews will be as good as TMT).[/quote']

I bottle in glass and keg...

In my experience, all the craft breweries bottle in crown tops.

When you say "commercial" I will assume you mean major as opposed to micro.

James Squire & Little Creatures come to mind as two of the larger micros that are inexpensive. What about Iron House Brewery down your way? Not so expensive.

Perhaps the cheaper alternative to TMT, Moo Brew, Seven Sheds, et al, is to hunt them down at your LHBS http://www.thbs.intas.net/brew_equipment.htm#Bottles

Or do as I have done, convince family and friends to drink only James Squire & keep the empties[biggrin]

The trick is to get bottles of the same height...

Crown seal bottle regularly get advertised in the newspapers and on eBay. I have bought and sold many over the years. These days I prefer predominantly stubbies for bottling and have hundreds of pickaxe brand brown ones plus a couple of hundred Hahn and Carlsberg green bottles. Despite all the discussion about green bottles skunking your beer if exposed to UV light these are my favorite bottle and I have never had an issue as I keep my beer in the dark.

Most of the imported beers and foreign brand (brewed in OZ) beers come in crown seal bottles.

My wife likes her cider bottled in clear glass Corona or Sol beer bottles which are crown seal.

I notice that most people either Keg or use PET bottles. For me part of the attraction is collecting and capping glass bottles' date=' and I enjoy it. At the moment I am building up a collection of Cooper's long necks with the crown seal. The rest of my collection of stubbies and long necks are twist tops. Does anyone now of any commercial beers that are still bottled with crown seals? There are some boutique Breweries down here, such as Two Metre Tall, but at close to $30 a six pack it could be an expensive exercise (I am also hoping that my home brews will be as good as TMT).[/quote']

Newtown Clown has pretty much answered your query. However, Amanda, LHBS in town, also sells Grolsch Bottles for only $1 each. I don't have any but they would be what I would look into as well. The swing tops make things easy. Muddy uses them here so he might elaborate a bit more.

Also keep an eye on Gumtree and The Mercury's Flea Market. Bottles come up every now and then to give away or are selling cheap.

I use a bit of everything - Coopers Longneck Bottles [love] , PET Beer bottles, PET Soft Drink (Stored away from any light [rightful] ), Grolsch bottles and any other bottles I deem suitable.

As for the grolsch bottles - they are great and make a great popping sound when you open them. I have had a few flat beers from them as they don't always seal well but I am on a lucky run and haven't had a dud in quite a while.

I go through phases but at the moment I am mainly using PET bottles for my regular beers (regular meaning ones that wont be cellared for multiple years) because they fit on the top shelf of my fridge whereas the glass longnecks need to be stored in the door.

I use all glass bottles. I have an assortment of shapes and sizes. In the last few months of I've had a few friends help me collect Grolsh bottles by giving me their empties. I like to use them as my early drinker as they are more convenient around bottling time. I find they are a good size too.

Thanks Gents. The main reason I ask is that I will be brewing the ESVA in a month or so and want to use crown seals to ensure a good seal while the bottles are in storage. Using all Coopers long necks will result in 4.5 standard drinks per bottle, that's a bit much for some occasions. Having some 375ml or even 330ml (2 standard drinks) bottles leaves more options.

Archived