Coopers Community

Foamy Head - Krausen??

TimD1525228520

Afternoon All,

I have had a batch of Yak style PA on the go since Sunday. 1.2kg CPA extract, 1.5kg Liq ME, 300g Dex, Early, Late and Dry hopped, US-05, pitched at 22 and held steady at 18-20 since. OG of around 1040 and down to 1012 last night.

Question is: Apart from the gravity which suggests all is well, the visible activity in the FV was slow to begin with but has picked up the longer things have gone on. Is the relative activity manifested as foamy, dense Krausen related to the type of yeast (in this case US-05), all other factors being somewhat equal?

Just wondering if different types of yeast yield different responses both in time to get moving and the visible result (temperature aside that is). As i said above, this is dense and foamy, 3-5cm thick which is very different to the Coopers Ale yeasts I have used in all other cases

S**t...i hope that make sense?

There are lots of factors that affect the fermentation and krausen etc.

The types of yeast, fermentables in the wort, temperature, amount of healthy yeast cells pitched etc.

And they are all different. Sometimes you will pitch the same type of yeast in the same type of wort and get a different response.

As long as it is fermenting and the SG is reducing I wouldn't worry about the krausen.

Unless it is volcanic and spewing out the top.

Did that answer your question in some way?

Yeah Hairy,

Thought as much re: all other factors playing a large role

It ain't vomiting that's for sure, just a wicked raft of dense foamy krausen with a few wettex full of nelson and cascade floating in it. Very different to the Coopers packet yeast with the tins (which is very likely less fresh too)

Thanks again

Archived