Coopers Community

Volumes: How much do you get out of your fermenter?

I am filling my bottles and stopping at the tap level. Just a slight tip gives me just shy of 19 litres (50 375 ml stubbies).

The kit comes with 30 750 ml bottles (22.5 litres).

So my question is, do you tilt the fermenter to get the full 30 bottles or stop at the tap?

Cheers

Scott

Hi Scott,

I carefully tilt the fermenter to get the last out of it.

Try not to agitate the trub (the gunk in the bottom)

If you can get someone else to tilt the fermenter while You fill the bottles it makes it a lot easier.

You can also put a packer under the back of the fermenter to tilt it. This depends on what sort of bench your bottling on. It works fine on the kitchen table but on the kitchen bench the bottler will interfere with your cupboards or draws.

It works fine on the kitchen table but on the kitchen bench the bottler will interfere with your cupboards or draws.

Get a metre or so of food grade plastic hose and fit to the tap and bottling attachment and it will allow you much more flexibility as to where the bottles sit while filling. I have my bottles in cheap plastic trays which prevents any spillage making a mess. I recommend bulk priming which means you leave all the trub in the first container and can bottle the lot in the bottling container. You can use same hose for bulk priming - just connect between the containers. Do a search on bulk priming.

So my question is, do you tilt the fermenter to get the full 30 bottles or stop at the tap?

Cheers

Scott

Yes, get as much as you can without disturbing the trub. The last bottle wont be as clear as the others but all taste the same and it wont hurt you

Scott, your wasting too much beer, get a metre of food grade PVC put a stainless weight on one end, connect the other end onto the tap, drop the weighted end in a second fermenter, dissolve 8gms sugar per litre in some water put this in the bottom of the second vessel. This is called bulk priming. I cut off piece a of a spare Little bottler put it in the end of the PVC this fits into the tap. Open the tap and fill the second vessel, tilt the first until no more beer comes out. This way the small amount of yeast that you get when you get to the tilting part wont matter because it is now mixed with the rest of the beer. I give the second vessel a stir (without aerating the beer, gentle stir). You now can attach your Little Bottler to No 2 fermenter and bottle away.[love]

Warren

put a stainless weight on one end' date=' connect the other end onto the tap, drop the weighted end in a second fermenter,[love']

Warren

I just connect the hose tap to tap and turn on the 2 taps. When finished just remove hose from original fermenter tap and insert bottle filler into the hose and its ready to go.

Scott' date=' your wasting too much beer, [/quote']

Yep that's what I thought when bottling my first two brews, hence the question before I bottle the third.

Thanks for the advice gents.

Cheers

Scott

Archived