Coopers Community

Secondary Fermenter and hops bag

BenL12

I have put down a sparkling ale and added a 12g bag of cascade hops to it and it is almost ready to rack to the secondary fermenter. Just wondering if i put the hops bag into the second fermenter after i have filled it? Or should i put another one in there or not bother at all?

Any help would be great.

Cheers

Why are you rack to another fermentor Ben? It isn't necessary at all - especially for a Sparkling Ale.

As for hops I'd just leave the bag you have already have in and leave your beer in your primary fermentor. You have nothing to gain by moving it to a secondary vessel. If you allow approx 1 week for fermentation and about a week for your beer to clear all in the primary fermentor you will be god as gold. There is rarely any need for racking to a second vessel unless it is time to bottle and you are bulk priming.

Why are you rack to another fermentor Ben?

I think if you are going to do a long secondary or dry hop, racking off to a clean carboy is not a terrible idea--to get another batch down into your primary bucket if for no other reason. [cool]

We tend to just use plastic fermentors in Australia Joel. Our secondary vessels are generally the same as our primary vessels so there is no benefit in secondary.

Totally with you there, I just ferment two to three weeks in my buckets and then bottle right from there. I think the glass carboys are only important for bulk aging when it's measured in months, but I have honestly yet to brew anything that takes that long.

I don't know about it been a wrong throwback method Muddy, but if your a brewer over the scale of us home brewers then I guess you want the most out of the hops you have brought to do the dry hopping with. At around $100 per kg it makes sense to get the most out of them so you are using less rather than more.....saving $$$$. On the home brew side of things it is probably here nor there, unless you are brewing for competition and John Palmer or Jamil Zainasheff are judging your finest then you want all the modern techniques the the brewing scientists have discovered for us to help your beer stand out from the rest.

Archived