Coopers Community

Its a monster.....

ChrisMack

WHAT WAS I THINKING when i put this one down - oh ok I wasnt, seems I just poured stuff into my fermenter.

Right I might have pushed bounderies here - I wanted to create a honey beer - with a little alcohol bite - um I think I've suceeded and created a monster....

Put down on 27th August was a lager kit that included some brewing sugars (I'm almost embarrased to say I added 1.5kg) and 1 kg of honey (might have overdone this a touch - forgot that the honey was fermentable) the starting gravity was a staggering 1.070 (yep I checked several times to be sure!!!) Nearly a month later and its time to take another Gravity reading..... today it sits at 1.006! Im guessing the fermentation process should be pretty much over by now - still get the odd "motion" from the bubbler though.

Using the brewcraft alcohol calculator this little baby comes out at a whopping 9.4% I guess this can be in some ways verified by a tasting (pre-bottling of course)...its a little funky tasting with a following alcohol warmth (slight but noticable) on the tongue....and mildly sweet - given time hopefully the funkyness should drop away and make for a "dangerous" beer as the sweetness could make it almost too easy to drink with some dire consequences to be had the following morning [pinched] .....

As a side note - and due to the high fermentables In this brew, I would like to know what the limit is??? Have I gone too far???

Oh and as for a name..... appropriatly I've named it "SUMMER HONEYBOMB"

Chris

Hi Chris,

I would say that brew boarders on moonshine![bandit] I would predict a very 'thin' beer due to the lack of extra malt to go with the hugh amount of fermentables.

Was it made to 23L?

I also find it impossible to make the OS Lager kit taste good[annoyed] .

I've been thinking about brewing another honey brew myself. I like the idea of

1.7kg OS Real ale

500g LDM

500g honey

20g Centenial (dry hop)

21L water

7g Cooper's Ale/yeast blend

That sounds like a big brew Chris... just hoping you will get away with under pitching the yeast. However, it sounds like you have.

I'd be interested to hear how much honey taste you will get when it matures as you may only get a hint for a little while which may disipate over time.

OT.... it seems like you have sorted everything out by now at home after the disaster. I hope things are as you expect now. Good to see you haven't dropped your guard. [sideways]

Chad, try this and I think you will change your mind.

Warren

CAN LAGER

500 DME 500WDME 150g Crystal

20G CENTENIAL BOIL 10MIN

15 NELSON FO - 25g NELSON @ DAY3

200DEX 23 L CULTURED YEAST

STEEP CRYSTAL 30 MIN 68 TO 70C

It is a winner[love] [love] [love]

Archived