Coopers Community

Non lager recipe using lager kit

DarrenO2

Hi, I recently got the coopers home brew kit which came with a can of lager extract.

Unfortunately I'm not really a lager drinker and prefer ales.

I am wanting to start adding grains to my brewing and was wondering if this can could be used to make an ale with the addition of more malt extract and some specialty grains etc

Would ayone have any suggestions or recipes?

Thanks, Darren

I would arc it up with extra malts maybe +1kg of Light DME, Ferment with an ale yeast (its the yeast with the lager can) and keep your temperatures up, thats all i can think of off the top of my head. Taste it after it ferments out if its not what you want maybe dry hop with a cascade or an amarillo or the likes.

Pretty much keep the temperature up when fermenting.

If i dont like a lager i fatten it up with dark malt, its a personal thing.

I would just experiment with it thinking of the flavours my additions mat impart on the brew and hopefully dont turn it to spew [roll]

Hi, I recently got the coopers home brew kit which came with a can of lager extract.

Unfortunately I'm not really a lager drinker and prefer ales.

I am wanting to start adding grains to my brewing and was wondering if this can could be used to make an ale with the addition of more malt extract and some specialty grains etc

Would ayone have any suggestions or recipes?

Thanks, Darren

The can of Lager that comes with the kit has an Ale Yeast so ferment it at Ale temps and you will be fine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Right, so 10 days on the Sg has got to 1.015 and hasnt moved in a few days, Krausen head has gone. Does that seem like the right SG?

I think my hydrometer is reading .005 high, so OG of 1035ish to FG of 1010.

Was planning on leaving in the FV for a few days more

Right, so 10 days on the Sg has got to 1.015 and hasnt moved in a few days, Krausen head has gone. Does that seem like the right SG?

All good from my experience with this brew - my last one had OG of 1035, FG of 1009, so I reckon all is going well for you.

cheers

If you did the Lager recipe that comes with the kit then a 1.015 reading is too high. You say you are planning to leave it a few more days. This wont hurt, in fact I suggest doing it as it will be better for your brew anyway. [biggrin]

Archived