Coopers Community

Heritage Lager - First Brew Queries

ChrisM32

Hi everyone, just started my first brew with DIY kit - Heritage Lagar. I can't quiet understand if what is in this can (1.7kg) is called a malt extract or not?

Anyway, it has been going for 4 days at about 18'C, releasing CO2 gurgles every 10 seconds or so. I have read that once the fermenting has seized, i should let it rest in the fermenter for another couple more days. Don't want it to go sour, any suggestions?

Great forum!

Nice brew this one. the can is basicly a hopped malt extract. Their just called a brew kit.

At that temp i'd personally leave it for about 10 to 14 days. Just remember to have 2 consistent FG over 24 hours before you bottle.

G'day Chris...your beer shouldn't go sour unless it is infected.

Like Sic_vl said 10-14 days is a good idea. For ales I leave it in the fermentor for 2 weeks, which under desirable temps etc. breaks down to about about 1 week for fermentation and 1 week to clear up and for the yeast to clean up some of it's mess. Lagers may take longer.

Of course your hydrometer confirms when fermentation is over...I tend to take a reading after a week and it is usually done so I just leave it for another week and then bottle away.

Took a hygrometer reading today, down from 1046 to 1015. Will confirm fermentation is over with a second reading. Didn't get a can of Malt light, just a 1kg bag of Brew Enhancer, which is why I was confused as to what exactly was in the Heritage Lager Can?!

Thanks for the advice! Will keep it in the fermenter for another week, and bottle up!

brew enhancer 1 is basically simple sugars which gives harsh flavours in my opinion. Beers brewed using mainly malt produce a higher quality beer. The heritage lager can is a pre-hopped malt which is different to the light malt can which is just malt and not hopped. Read up on the different products and you'll find out what they have to offer....or ask if your not sure [cool]

Thanks for the help fellas! Just had a thought about bottling.. When filling the bottles, wouldn't 'dirty' air be pulled through the airlock (remove airlock?) and contaminate the beer that would go into the last bottles?

Beer is smelling great! Can't wait to indulge ;)

Yeah always remove the airlock or loosen the lid when bottling, taking a hydro sample or moving the fermentor Chris.

(Now for my standard ditch the airlock rant [rightful] )

Even better, just ditch the airlock and lid and use a piece of gladwrap secured with the o-ring from the lid. It makes it much easier and you have the added benefit of being able to see in through the wrap and see all the magic happening inside.

I honestly don't know a single pro for using them Allan. They really don't serve any purpose other than to confuse new brewers.

Cons however....

Sucking water in when taking a hydro sample or moving the fermentor.

Causing confusion...(Why isn't my airlock bubbling? Why is my airlock still bubbling? etc. etc.

You can't really see what is happening in the fermentor.

Plenty more cons but I feel the need for breakfast [cool]

Maybe PB2 can answer questions what are pros and cons for the airlock. I have my fv sitting on milk crate so when i need to check out the fv it dosent need to be moved. I always check out the fv on the 7th 8th and 9th day get the readings and bottle on the 10th day

Archived