Coopers Community

Irish Stout check-up

JimV2

I am looking for some reassurance on day 7 of my first time brewing experience. I bought the DIY kit (love it)and asked the retailer to swap the included beer for an Irish stout. I mixed it with 500g DME and about 330g of BE1 and, of coarse, yeast. The OG was 1036 and I have now had 2 days at 1018. The temp has been steady at 25C. By my calculation the ABV is less than 2.5%. Should I wait to see if the gravity goes lower or should I bottle. Alcohol is low but it is not a big concern for me. It just has to taste good! Can anyone give a recommendation on how to proceed?

Those readings sound out to me Jim - What does your hydrometer read in water at 20C (Should read 1.000).

It is never a good idea to bottle a beer before it is finished as it a sure recipe for bottle bombs. Although you will probably be using PET bottles which are very forgiving as you can always let some gas out if they become overcarbed.

Sounds like it's having trouble getting down to the desired gravity. I would leave it one more day and if there is still no change in gravity, then open it up and give it a gentle stir (to ensure no oxygen is introduced to the beer) with a well sanitised spoon. This should get the yeast back in suspension, and hopefully restart the fermentation. Also 25C is too hot to produce an excellent beer, next time try and have the temperature around 18-20C for a cleaner, and overall better beer. [biggrin]

Thanks for the great pointers. I checked the hydrometer and it is definitely out of whack. I will get a new one but I guess my readings are useless as far as OG and ABV. I will give it gentle stir and just leave it for a week before I bottle it. Anyone see a problem with that approach?.

As for temperature, I'm all for better beer, next time I won't brew in the hot season (summer in Canada now). I just don't have a cooler spot in the house.

Thanks for the great pointers. I checked the hydrometer and it is definitely out of whack. I will get a new one but I guess my readings are useless as far as OG and ABV. I will give it gentle stir and just leave it for a week before I bottle it. Anyone see a problem with that approach?.

As for temperature, I'm all for better beer, next time I won't brew in the hot season (summer in Canada now). I just don't have a cooler spot in the house.

If your Hydrometer is out then what is your adjusted OG?... the yeast may not need be shaken up. If it does, I wouldn't be stirring, just give the FV a gentle "Swirl" which is plenty to get yeast up and running again if need be.

My hydrometer reads about 10 points lower than it should. I just tested the brew and it has creeped down to 1014. Adjusted readings are now OG 1046 FG 1024. Is that still a bit high? I did taste it and was pleased. Tastes like Irish stout!

My hydrometer reads about 10 points lower than it should.

I would take it back and ask for a replacement. 10 points is not an acceptable error on a new hydrometer. Alternatively pick up another one on ebay for less than $20 with a decent range (.990 - 1.170) that will serve you if you move into brewing an extended range of beers.

Keeping accurate records of all your brewing attempts(including gravity readings) is just one tool to take the luck out of brewing and helps you to consistently reproduce a good brew or help understand why things went wrong.

Another thing is if your hydrometer readings are fluctuating so you can't get a correct reading then provided the FV was sitting above 18C then I would say it should be safe to bottle after 2 weeks if it is an ale.

Don't forget to run a sample off and take readings from the 2nd sample and make sure you spin the hydrometer prior to taking the reading to get the bubbles off.

Archived