Coopers Community

First time brewer question

JonT1

As a virgin brewer I'm dutifully following the brew kit instructions, but I've hit a point where I'm a bit confused.

So I made my original brew 7 days ago, OG was 42. All seemed to be well in the subsequent days (froth and temperature wise), and continues so as I took my first SG reading yesterday and it was 2. So wondering how long I would be waiting before SG remained stable, I've already got a stable reading today (day7) of 2 (again) - for some reason I was expecting to have to take more readings and wait more days than 2!

Any thoughts in whether this is normal and to be expected, and importantly should I get bottling today or wait to see if it's still stable tomorrow.. my instincts tell me it will be!

I know it's basic, but any thoughts very much appreciated.. cheers, Jon

Hi Jon and welcome...

Hydrometer readings are generally read as 1042 (or 1.042) so I suspect you are getting a reading of 1020 wich is about half way through the cycle.

as to how long, it's kind of like asking how long is a piece of string.. it depends on the string and in your case the yeast.. sometimes they can finish in days other times a week or more, however, it is better to leave your beer for a few more days once a stable FG is achieved to allow the yeast to clean up any by products of fermentation... and there will be some...

if it is reading 1020 then it has not finished but slowed down... what was the recipe and what temps has it been at?

without knowing the recipe and ingerdients you used it makes it a bit hard to make an evaluation for you.

If you are bottleing into PET it isnt as much of a worry as glass, botteling into glass if you have residual unfermented sugars and lead to bottle explosions... you DO NOT want this..

Yob

thank you very much for getting back to me.

I'm using the Lager recipe, the standard one you get from the Coopers store in the beginner kit and my temperatures have been stable at 22 to 24 degrees.

I've just re-read the hydrometer after your description of how to read it and my OG would have been 1.042 but by current SG is 1.002 same as yesterday.

Does that change anything?

I'm bottling into the the plastic bottles that came with the Coopers kit, so I'm hoping we'll be explosion free! Gulp.

Thanks again for your thoughts, very helpful.

that reading is quite low for one of these kits.. erm... how does it taste? At that sort of reading it will not result in bottle bombs so rest assured there is no worry there..

Nope doesnt change anything mate, seems ti me that it would be well and truly finished..

Those temps are a bit high (the kit instructions arent very good for this reason) which can result in a faster than expected ferment... and also more by products... If it were mine I would leave it for a few more days to let it clean up it's own mess and then you should be good to go.

Ales are typically fermented at about 18-20'c and despite it being a "Lager" it will have used an ale yeast I believe..(Lagers are fermented at about 12'c)

Now I dont want to worry you, hence the how does it taste question but the yeast 'shouldnt' really get it below about 1008 and one reasons for a beer doing so could be infection (not saying at all that this is the case) Wild airborne yeast can, if they goet into your beer and take hold, can ferment down to 1000 or esentially alcoholic water...

Have you checked and calibrated the hydrometer to ensure it reads 1000 in water @ 20'c? If it is out then this will result in incorrect readings, I assume it is OK though as 1042 is about right for the standard Kit and BE1. Something to check though...

Yob

My lowest gravity reached for a beer was .996 and it was still fermenting. You should always wait until you get the same reading over 2 days before bottling as fermentation is still evident and pressure will certainly build in the bottle.

PET bottles are a little forgiving. However, you still should monitor them as to the carbonation levels. Kegging is a different story altogether as most kegs have a PRV which will release the pressure if required.

I would leave your bottles for 1 more day just so you can check the FG to be the same. If it is not then you have some other issue going on which you may need to address one way or the other.

Thanks both for your replies.

I've tested the hydrometer in water at 20 degrees at it reads 0.986, so it does seem to be mis-calibrated. Does this mean that I should add 0.014 to my readings?

So my SG is perhaps 0.016 and my OG was 0.054 - my guess it's not that straight forward.

Either way, I'll leave it for today and see if my SG reading is stable again tomorrow and perhaps the next day and then I'll bottle it.

I did a taste test and it's tastes OK, it certainly smells good, and I think with a bit of carbonation the taste would be pretty good too.

Quick question @BillK - I'm using plastic bottles, but when you say check on it during bottling - is there any official check you should do on it during this period? I'm guessing you just feel the pressure by squeezing the bottle..if they feel really tight are you advised to release the gaps to let some pressure escape?

Thanks again, your thoughts are very valuable.

You can really only do a squeeze test to ensure they have carbonated. I would be drinking one after 3-4 weeks as a test. If it seems ok after 4 weeks then it should be pretty right.

Somehow something doesn't sound right with your readings. 1.054 is far too high for OG of a kit can + BE1 and .986 is far too low for a new hydrometer. If this is correct then you should contact Coopers for a replacement. Do you know anyone else near you who you maybe able to borrow theirs?...

Thanks Bill, I'll keep that it mind if I make it that far! No one else I can borrow a hydrometer from

Meanwhile, I think the Coopers team might be right, it's been in the water for a couple of hours and it's dropped 0.983 and the water has definitely been a constant 20 degrees.

Welcome to brewing and the forum.

If it were mine I would leave it for another week and then bottle.

My preference is not to bottle before 2 weeks and 3 steady SG readings.

In my opinion a few extra days in the fermenter will not harm it and may well improve it.

Patience is a virtue in both the brewing of it and waiting before drinking it.

Thanks Bill, I'll keep that it mind if I make it that far! No one else I can borrow a hydrometer from

Meanwhile, I think the Coopers team might be right, it's been in the water for a couple of hours and it's dropped 0.983 and the water has definitely been a constant 20 degrees.

No problems. You need to listen to PB2 though as he is well experienced and being a part of the team is in the know.

Thanks everyone for the tips.

@PB2 - I left the hydrometer in the water for the afternoon and it didn't continue sinking after the initial 3 or so hours, it eventually stopped at about 0.982 and stayed there.

I've taken it out of the water and will leave it stand overnight to see if any water comes out of it, if not what do you recommend I do? I'm assuming there's no way to fix it or re-calibrate it if it's broken or taking on liquid - do I need a new one?

Thanks.

Archived