Coopers Community

after bottling

ThomasT

hi I have been making my home brew for some time now, and now this time when I bottled my beer,after is ready to drink there is no pressure in the bottle and there is a sour smell to it I tried to see if the lid was tight and it was, so what could cause this problem

hi I have been making my home brew for some time now' date=' and now this time when I bottled my beer,after is ready to drink there is no pressure in the bottle and there is a sour smell to it I tried to see if the lid was tight and it was, so what could cause this problem [/quote']

Have you tested more than one bottle and are they all the same?

What did you brew?

What was the FG?

Did it smell ok when bottled?

Hi thanks for replying to my post, and yes out of 30 bottles there was only 4 that was ok, don't figger, if it was all of them then i no it was contaminated, I was thinking could it be the caps, I have used the same caps for 12 months now, could they have lost there seals

Cheers

4 that was ok, don't figger, if it was all of them then i no it was contaminated, I was thinking could it be the caps, I have used the same caps for 12 months now, could they have lost there seals

Cheers

My take is that if 4 were OK then the problem is in the bottling.

I would think that it is more likely a sealing issue than a sanitation issue.

What type of bottles and caps were they - swing tops?

I'd say it is the caps.

I wouldn't reuse them, I discard and buy new caps for every brew. They are only $2.95 at Big W for 30 caps.

A small price to pay when risking a brew.

Just use small side cutters to remove the ring lock left on the bottle too.

Cheers

Wayne

Ps. Sorry to hear bout your brew!

I mark my PET.caps with a-1 down the side of the cap (silver pen) every use, when a cap has 4 marks i toss them out. I know 4 is an arbitary thing but this way i am sure of replacing the caps. Before I did this I had a couple of bottles that were flat and were like vinegar.[pinched]

I'd say the problem is the caps.[love]

Archived