Coopers Community

European Lager Fermentation?

WaynoW

I have just put down a Coopers European Lager 24hours ago.

I pitched the (7g) kit yeast (which I believe is a true lager yeast) into 23ltrs @ 22deg.

I have then sat the FV into my bath filled with water which is a good steady 13deg.

My question.... (I have read elsewhere that maybe I should have left it 12-24hrs before bringing the temp down to 13deg)

Is this going to stop fermentation from kicking in? Should I just leave it be now?

bathk.jpg

It's my 3rd FV going at the moment.... Two stouts are in the brew fridge.

Cheers

Wayno

Am no expert, but I'd let it be and see what happens...have also read gradual temp reduction recommended but only one way to find out! It is a true lager yeast too.

Nice work having 3 FV's operating by the way...

The brew would take some time to draw down to 13C, which may be enough for the yeast to get a healthy fermentation going.

Check your brew for krausen forming - remove the orange lid (it probably has an oring in it) - pull that out and stretch it over the clingwrap. Then you can watch the show!

Thanks Paul,

I'll do away with the orange lid... It'll make a nice frisbee!

and @ Canadian, The wife is pretty cool with it (thank goodness). I just pinched the laundry pantry for a secondary fermentation cupboard [bandit]. Lets see how long before she notices!

The brew would take some time to draw down to 13C, which may be enough for the yeast to get a healthy fermentation going.

Check your brew for krausen forming - remove the orange lid (it probably has an oring in it) - pull that out and stretch it over the clingwrap. Then you can watch the show!

+1 lose the lid [alien]

Wayno you may find it easier placing the FV in a drum of water. Keeps SWMBO happy then.

Yup, 48 hours and SG reading had not changed even 1 point. Obviously I cooled it too soon after pitching.

So firstly I did what you mentioned Allan and brought the temp back up to 20 deg slowly and pitched another Lager yeast, and fermentation kicked in within hours.

Secondly, I listen to Paul and Bill and got rid of the orange lid!

I left it 24 hours and then 'slowly' cooled it and have just placed it back in the bath, which is a constant 12 deg.

Fermenting away beautifully.....

dscn2209o.jpg

and now my bathroom smells like egg gas!! LOL

Archived